Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

coilover and shock?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicS is an unknown quantity at this point
coilover and shock?

I am newBee, what is difference between coilover and shock, are they diff. in set up.....pic, website info. really help. Well, I am look to drop my car with Koni + Prokit (HondaTuningmagazine.com said is not a easy job to get it DONE? . But some member suggest get coilover, what is coilover?

thanks
Old 05-04-2002
The Standard One

VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
they are two totally different things... coilovers/springs go over the shock. coilovers/springs basically decide how low/high your car sits. shocks dampen the ride so you dont feel every single lil bump.

main difference between coilovers and springs...
coilovers: you can adjust height and set how low/high you want your car to sit.
springs: you have a set height and only way to make your car lower/higher is to change springs
also the ride on coilovers isn't as good as springs and coilovers tend to cost more.

oh n there are two types of coilovers too. the one i mentioned above is actually "adjustable springs" but 90% of people call those coilovers so i use that term to. true coilovers include both shock and springs and are still adjustable.
as for price range..
springs: 100-200
coilovers(adjustable springs): 200-350
true coilovers: 1000-1500

as for shocks, the only one available for our cars is made by koni. and they are not the full shocks but they are just inserts. so they require you to modify your current shocks in order to put konis on your car.
Old 05-04-2002
The Standard One

oh and next time try searching. you'll find ALOT of more info cause there are ALOT of newbies that ask questions like this. and using the search button will prevent you from getting flamed.
Old 05-04-2002
Registered!!

Silver2k1Dood is an unknown quantity at this point
Here's a lil' comparison of price differences...just to give u some perspective:

H&R sports springs: $149.00 kit

Coilover kit: $1299.00
Old 05-04-2002
Registered!!

CivicS is an unknown quantity at this point

koni + prokit install ......anyone know the shop charge for installation? also how much usually people spend $$$ on drop?

thanks
Old 05-05-2002
Registered!!

TEKNIQ is an unknown quantity at this point
I've finally saved up enough money to get my parts installed. I already have springs, the shop is going to charge me $250 to install my Koni's, Ingalls camberkit, AEM brakepads, & do my allignment...
Old 05-05-2002
The Standard One

just a thought... why not go with eibach sportlines or neuspeed sports?

cause i personally dont think its worth it to pay that much money to just lower my car 1 inch. i dont think you'll really be able to tell with that small drop. neuspeeds and sportlines are about a 1.5-1.7 inch drop. i got my neuspeeds installed today and so far havn't scraped anything. its still kinda high for me but i think i'll be able to drive it like how i did with my stock springs so i'm happy with it. oh and i know everyone says to get eibach but for me, money was an issue so i decided to go with neuspeeds. they're about $50 cheaper and from today, the ride quality's not that badd. and another cheaper brand is gold line. its about $140. i've heard nothing but good things about it, well some say its a lil bouncy but hey my 01(i have an 02 now cause the 01 got totalled) was bouncy n it didn't bother me too much. but ya this is just my opinion tho. i'm not really into name brands, as long as it's good enough, it's good enough for me.

well for your questions....
neuspeeds are about $145(got mine for 140)
goldline: maybe 130-140)
eibachs: 190-220(this one shop near me has them for 180)
spring installation: 80-100(got mine done for 70. dont pay anymore then 100)

not sure about how much konis are or how much installation is. imma be riding on my stock shocks for now. hopefully they dont blow anytime soon cause i need money for rims... but from what i hear i should be fine for awhile...