Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

Is it a good choice to buy a honda civic?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vietxflash is an unknown quantity at this point
Is it a good choice to buy a honda civic?

I intend to buy a cheap 1999 civic, but recently my moms 1999 civic was broken into and they stole the aftermarket radio by smashing drivers side window which was parked in the back of the apartment (outside). Also today I was walking past the apartment NEXT to me and saw a smashed 2006 white civic (driver side window as well).

I am kind of scared to buy one now since I hear lots of hondas are being broken into and brings lots of attention to people and stolen a lot in CANADA, and also I was planning to install a aftermarket stereo and new side speakers as well.

Tell me what you guys think...should i risk it? I love hondas a I test drive my moms everyday and love how it drives, an also save on gas
Old 05-15-2012
Registered!!

got2run5 will become famous soon enoughgot2run5 will become famous soon enough
Re: Is it a good choice to buy a honda civic?

Buy a honda and get a HU with a detachable faceplate. Then every time you leave the car put the faceplate in the glovebox or something so it is out of view.
Old 05-15-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by got2run5
Buy a honda and get a HU with a detachable faceplate. Then every time you leave the car put the faceplate in the glovebox or something so it is out of view.
I still hear people breaking into cars even if there no faceplate there. Just to be *******s too but It will for surely reduce the break in
Old 05-15-2012
Registered!!

Well there's not much you can do. Alarm systems might alert you that it's being stolen but unless you're going to walk outside with a shotgun, it's going to be useless. Just don't put expensive stuff on the car or in it. If you're worried about people breaking into the car, I wouldn't put nice rims or anything on it. It's unfortunate that people have so little respect for other ppl's stuff but if you have something nice, there is always someone that is going to want to take it from you. The choice is ultimately yours. Buy a civic and risk the small chance (if you take precautions like the faceplate) or own a pos like a 2003 kia or something.
Old 05-15-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by got2run5
Well there's not much you can do. Alarm systems might alert you that it's being stolen but unless you're going to walk outside with a shotgun, it's going to be useless. Just don't put expensive stuff on the car or in it. If you're worried about people breaking into the car, I wouldn't put nice rims or anything on it. It's unfortunate that people have so little respect for other ppl's stuff but if you have something nice, there is always someone that is going to want to take it from you. The choice is ultimately yours. Buy a civic and risk the small chance (if you take precautions like the faceplate) or own a pos like a 2003 kia or something.
Yeah i plan on removing the faceplate..but still am scared for my future honda
Old 05-15-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Park in well lit areas, don't leave valuables in sight and you'll be fine.
Old 05-15-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MindBomber
Park in well lit areas, don't leave valuables in sight and you'll be fine.
True, but I parked outside in the back where most tenants parked with a light attached to our building a night. The car was 20 m from my window which I could see my car from. But still it was broken into.

Though some old couple spotted someone jacking my stuff and told the tenant in the morning which didn't help much.
Old 05-15-2012
Registered!!

It seems like you've already made up your mind. We're trying to offer you solutions but it doesn't seem like any of them are going to work for you. I think you feel that a civic is too likely to be broken into for you to buy. Not trying to be mean or anything, I'm just saying that you already have all the answers you're looking for. I love my civic but there are also other cars that are nice that you'd be less concerned about being broken into.
Old 05-15-2012
Registered!!

jsphwallace is an unknown quantity at this point

My civic got broken into and the big thing the guy told me who replaced my glass is that thieves love tinted windows, because you can be 30 yards away and not hear the glass break. But any car is at risk like everyone else said don't leave valuables in the car at all, and if you want extra since of protection you can get a 2-way security system like a avital 5303l or the viper version(which is triple the price) and have them install a prox sensor(so if anyone gets close or looks in the window it'll beep to warn them and go off if they don't back away)also with the two way it'll tell you on your key-chain remote by beeping each time your alarm is set(if your within range of it) off so you know when someone is close or trying to break in. But, this is just my 2 cents to help if you are worried about ppl breaking in because the alarm system has help give me a peace of mind.
Old 05-15-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by jsphwallace
My civic got broken into and the big thing the guy told me who replaced my glass is that thieves love tinted windows, because you can be 30 yards away and not hear the glass break. But any car is at risk like everyone else said don't leave valuables in the car at all, and if you want extra since of protection you can get a 2-way security system like a avital 5303l or the viper version(which is triple the price) and have them install a prox sensor(so if anyone gets close or looks in the window it'll beep to warn them and go off if they don't back away)also with the two way it'll tell you on your key-chain remote by beeping each time your alarm is set(if your within range of it) off so you know when someone is close or trying to break in. But, this is just my 2 cents to help if you are worried about ppl breaking in because the alarm system has help give me a peace of mind.
Good advice and I didn't know about the tint thing o_o, and I was about to do that when I get my car. Even a little tinted will make no sound?
Old 05-15-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

what does having a civic have to do with anything any car can be broken into. get a two way alarm system with shock sensors. you could even use 3M window security film.
Old 05-15-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lowlife9
what does having a civic have to do with anything any car can be broken into. get a two way alarm system with shock sensors. you could even use 3M window security film.
You've got a point. ANY car can be broken into. But the real question is which TYPE of cars are most targeted. Hondas....are on the top somewheres
Old 05-15-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by vietxflash
You've got a point. ANY car can be broken into. But the real question is which TYPE of cars are most targeted. Hondas....are on the top somewheres
I've never had a problem.

Do you want to know why Civics list high on most stolen car lists?
Because Civics have been one of the highest selling, most reliable cars for two decades, and compared to other cars built in the 90s era there are a lot more of them on the road.
Old 05-15-2012
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

they are high on the stolen list smash and grab or being broken into is a different story.
Old 05-15-2012
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MindBomber
I've never had a problem.

Do you want to know why Civics list high on most stolen car lists?
Because Civics have been one of the highest selling, most reliable cars for two decades, and compared to other cars built in the 90s era there are a lot more of them on the road.
There was a hit and run in Vancouver about 6 months ago and the vehicle description was an early 90's silver Civic. They mentioned on the news that it didn't help the search because there were over 1000 of them registered in Vancouver alone. So why the glass half empty scenario? If your going to do something illegal then it's good to do it in a Civic.

j/k
Old 05-15-2012
Registered!!

jsphwallace is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by vietxflash
Good advice and I didn't know about the tint thing o_o, and I was about to do that when I get my car. Even a little tinted will make no sound?
From what he told me since tint holds your window together when it breaks any tint on the window will dampen the sound since the glass doesn't shatter,and like someone said you could get 3m securtiy tint or other brands too it's kinda pricey from what i remember,but that stuff works like crazy you can you tube security tint and watch people sit there for a good 5 minutes or more whacking away at a window and it not really break it just gets cracks. Also, the thing with tint too is once they get the glass to break or crack enough to give they just cut around it with a razor blade and remove the glass,but i mean to have the best and safest bet i'd get a good 2-way security system, i'm a fan of directed electronics (who makes viper,avital,python and etc.)it's all preference and price you wanna spend,and on top of that get the security tint so if they start bashing your window it'll alert you.
Old 05-16-2012
Registered!!

only downside to the security film is if your upside down in a ditch on fire good luck kicking the window out.
Old 05-16-2012
Registered!!

Thanks guy Ill be probably getting one very soon. And by getting a DECENT alarm system it will ease the worries.
Old 05-16-2012
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

i often see people with no tint on their windows or window rolled half way down and have their laptop or purse right in the passenger seat.