Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

Need Engine Help (ASAP)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jimmyburnsred is an unknown quantity at this point
Need Engine Help (ASAP)

im new to the car world but i bought a 1990 civic si and the person i bought it from said it had a swap but was not sure what kinda and i needed so help figuring it out so i can buy parts for it the chassis says zc but im not sure what that mean

here is a pic of it
https://i.imgur.com/HRoBh.jpg

please help

thanks in advance
Old 11-07-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need Engine Help (ASAP)

wow looks really clean. im not very good with the older engines by looks, but there should be a plaque or engraving on the lower engine block that gives you the engine code (like b18, d16, etc). if you find that, i can tell you more about the engine you have. ofcourse im not sure what else may have been done to the internal parts. he didnt give you any details?
Old 11-07-2011
Registered!!

Thanks how do I find it and it has jdm coilover suspension 30000 hid lights jdm short shifter
Old 11-07-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

just try and look around the engine block til you see some writing. every engine must have the info on it.
Old 11-09-2011
^Warranty voider

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Running Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jimmyburnsred
Thanks how do I find it and it has jdm coilover suspension 30000 hid lights jdm short shifter
please please please please please please please please please.... your new to the car world, please please please please please DO NOT buy into this jdm ****. Please don't you'll be miles ahead of everyone other noobie out there is you don't fall into that JDM trap. Coilovers are not JDM, they are aftermarket. No stock honda EVER came with coilovers. The short shifter yes also is NOT jdm as this would imply that this equipment came on a factory Honda in Nippon. It didn't so please please please I'm trying to help you here, don't fall into that habit.
Old 11-09-2011
Registered!!

That's what the guy that I bought it from said so that's what I was saying
Old 11-09-2011
^Warranty voider

Running Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of light

oops
Old 11-09-2011
^Warranty voider

im new to the car world but i bought a 1990 civic si and the person i bought it from said it had a swap but was not sure what kinda and i needed so help figuring it out so i can buy parts for it the chassis says zc but im not sure what that mean

here is a pic of it
https://i.imgur.com/HRoBh.jpg

please help

thanks in advance
it looks like a d15b7 to me if I've ever seen one. So I google it and voila:

look behind the exhaust manifold on the front of the block on the passengers side close to the transmission. You should see it there. This is on a DOHC but its in the same location.
Old 11-09-2011
Autocross Padawan

Zeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Running Riot
please please please please please please please please please.... your new to the car world, please please please please please DO NOT buy into this jdm ****. Please don't you'll be miles ahead of everyone other noobie out there is you don't fall into that JDM trap. Coilovers are not JDM, they are aftermarket. No stock honda EVER came with coilovers. The short shifter yes also is NOT jdm as this would imply that this equipment came on a factory Honda in Nippon. It didn't so please please please I'm trying to help you here, don't fall into that habit.
+1...

As a side note.. please buy a car cover for that thing and get an aftermarket alarm on it. Keep it inside and don't show it off. That car WILL get stolen at some point if you're not careful.

And yes, that's a b7 from the looks of it. Gotta love Google.
Old 11-09-2011
Registered!!

Thanks guys for the help I really appreciate it and is that engine A good engine or what?
Old 11-09-2011
^Warranty voider

Thanks guys for the help I really appreciate it and is that engine A good engine or what?
what makes a good engine to you? That question is as subjective as is the answer. To restate my question, what is your definition of a good engine?
Old 11-09-2011
Registered!!

Like hp torque Just the spec of it
Old 11-09-2011
^Warranty voider

im not trying to be an ******* but let me give you some advice. There are three types of people on Honda forums, the horrible ones that should end themselves 5 minutes ago. The mediocre ones who SOMETIMES beg the question "is it EVER too late for an abortion?" and the remaining 9% are role models for the rest of us who can only wish to reach their level of greatness. If you wish to reach that EPIC level of EPICNESS and not fall into the other two undesirable categories then take this second piece of free advice I'm giving you. Open a new tab in your browser and use google. Just type D15b7 engine youll get a wikipidia link and find it there and youll find plenty of links to give you the specs your looking for.

Look at this as not only a way to get answers to your questions, but an expedited crash course in better forming = happy forum time

once you get the specs you are looking for decide if this engine makes you happy in pants. If it doesn't then use either the search function here or the search procedure previously outlines above and find the answers to the questions for which you seek.
Old 11-09-2011
Autocross Padawan

Zeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of light

Considering using this as my my next sig...
Old 11-09-2011
Registered!!

I looked at the code and it said zc
Old 11-12-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

ZC is a JDM engine.
Old 11-12-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,450 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

im not trying to be an ******* but let me give you some advice. There are three types of people on Honda forums, the horrible ones that should end themselves 5 minutes ago. The mediocre ones who SOMETIMES beg the question "is it EVER too late for an abortion?" and the remaining 9% are role models for the rest of us who can only wish to reach their level of greatness. If you wish to reach that EPIC level of EPICNESS and not fall into the other two undesirable categories then take this second piece of free advice I'm giving you. Open a new tab in your browser and use google. Just type D15b7 engine youll get a wikipidia link and find it there and youll find plenty of links to give you the specs your looking for.

Look at this as not only a way to get answers to your questions, but an expedited crash course in better forming = happy forum time

once you get the specs you are looking for decide if this engine makes you happy in pants. If it doesn't then use either the search function here or the search procedure previously outlines above and find the answers to the questions for which you seek.

good advice
OP, fer engine codes, look in my sig.
ya will find all you need in there, straight from this site, for who searches shall find :P
Old 11-12-2011
Premium Member

finally found some info from my honda tuning books. there is actually a ZC engine.

Honda ZC engine
DOHC
1.6L, 16 valve MPFI
137 HP

this is a true jdm engine and has never come stock on any usdm honda. Only installed on late 80s and early 90s jdm civic si and crx si. similar to d16a1 but with more hp (due to higher compression ratio and performance camshaft). it is actually somewhat in high demand and normally goes for around $2,000 for the engine. looks like you got a pretty good one here.
Old 11-13-2011
^Warranty voider

Originally Posted by gearbox
finally found some info from my honda tuning books. there is actually a ZC engine.

Honda ZC engine
DOHC
1.6L, 16 valve MPFI
137 HP

this is a true jdm engine and has never come stock on any usdm honda. Only installed on late 80s and early 90s jdm civic si and crx si. similar to d16a1 but with more hp (due to higher compression ratio and performance camshaft). it is actually somewhat in high demand and normally goes for around $2,000 for the engine. looks like you got a pretty good one here.
in his picture, his engine is a SOHC. To the OP, the ZC is a d16 engine from the Civic Si (EG) and Del Sol Si if im not mistaken. The valve cover in your picture was only on the d15b if I am not mistaken. If the block code said zc and you have that valve cover on that block then I would venture a guess and say that someone swapped over a nonvtec head onto that zc since that valve cover doesn't work on any other block?! this baffles me more than the plot sequence of an M.Night Shemilan movie.... and I way out in the ether on this one?
Old 11-13-2011
^Warranty voider

this is a d16zc
Old 11-13-2011
Premium Member

found more info about it online, similar to whats in the book. if his engine says zc on it, im not sure what else it could be. but the valve cover is totally different than the zc so you may be right about head swap.

Honda ZC Engine JDMDisplacement (cc): 1590
Power (bhp@rpm): 137 @ 6,800 rpm
Torque (ft/lbs@rpm): 108 @ 5,700 rpm
Compression Ratio: 9.5:1
Bore (mm): 75
Stroke (mm): 90
Cam Design: DOHC
Valve Train No

Honda ZC Engines JDM
The ZC was produced for the Honda CRX (JDM) in the years 1990-1993. The ZC is one of the more popular used Honda engines sought out by tuners today.

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/e...wap/index.html

http://hondaswap.com/swap-articles/zc-swap-info-29123/
Old 11-13-2011
^Warranty voider

Id assume so. The DOHC ZC is completely interchangable with the SOHC ZC the z6 etc. All SOHC parts are interchangeable with the DOHC ZC making it a great budget swap for EFs. And they are cheaper than hell.
Old 11-14-2011
Registered!!

civydcex has a spectacular aura aboutcivydcex has a spectacular aura aboutcivydcex has a spectacular aura about

this baffles me more than the plot sequence of an M.Night Shemilan movie.... and I way out in the ether on this one?
lol, thats good stuff!!!