Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

possible problem w/ fram suredrain?

Old 04-25-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mwwhonda is an unknown quantity at this point
possible problem w/ fram suredrain?

ok, i just picked up a framsure drain, and i was thinkin about things, and i see a possible problem for those overobsessive people like myself...

when i change my oil, i put my car up on ramps, and let the oil drain out for about 30 minutes, making sure to get all the nasty old stuff out (or at least as much of it as possible..)

well, to get to my point, i have included two simple drawings to get the idea accross

picture one, symbolizies the stock oil pan w/ the stock oil pan bolt removed to allow ALL the oil to drain from the pan

picture 2, symbolizes the stock oil pan w/ the Suredrain installed.....if i have thought about this correctly, the sure drain will protrude into the oil pan, preventing ALL the oil from draining from the oil pan, w/o removing the suredrain device.....

although there is a very simple solution to this problem (simply using the suredrain to drain the majority of the oil from the oil system, and then removing the suredrain to let the car drain the remaining oil out, it is something very simple that bothers me...)

IM SO DAMN **** about things like this! lol

peace[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-25-2002
Registered!!

Collective is an unknown quantity at this point
I see your point, and I'm the same way.... You have to get all the old stuff out ! I guess its back to scorched fingers for me...
Old 04-25-2002
Registered!!

i will still install, and use the suredrain for the majority of the oil removal process, but once the oil is all out, then i will remove the sure drain and let the rest of the stuff drain out for a good 30 minutes

problem solved.... [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-25-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Actually... Have you done an oil change yet? The drain bolt is not located at the bottom of the oil pan. It's located towards the side, since one of the corners of the oil pan is clipped. The stock oil drain bolt goes into the oil pan just as far as Fram's SureDRAIN. No problem. When you lift the front of the car up on jack stands you make that clipped corner more horizontal, so most of the old oil is sure to drain out. The higher you lift up the front of the car the better, but there's no need to go overboard. If you only use dino oil and you don't change it frequently then sludge will develop in your oil pan. It'll cling to the bottom of the oil pan and after a while you might want to physically detach the oil pan from the engine and clean it out manually before re-installing. Of course this is like after something like 150,000+ miles.
Old 04-26-2002
Registered!!

drbombay is an unknown quantity at this point
why would you use the suredrain if you were just going to pull it out anyway. that would just make it a waste
Old 04-26-2002
DIY King

Exactly. That's why you screw it in and leave it on for a long long time. Just use the little tube that it comes with to drain the oil.
Old 04-26-2002
Registered!!

my point grey, is that the suredrain STAYS in the pan, and would produce a "lip" which would block some of the oil from draining...i think...i will take a better look when im under the car

peace
Old 04-26-2002
DIY King

Oh, yeah... I see what you mean. Um.. Who knows how far the threads go? I thought that the threads end in a flat place so that a "lip" wouldn't be produced. Besides that it does block the opening a little by making the diameter smaller and the opening that gets "punctured" by the hose attachment is also smaller. Hum... Then again, you can heat up the engine more than before and let the oil drain faster that way. It's hard to tell. We'll see at 15,000 miles on my sister's car if it's effective or not. I have all the oil that I removed before. I can compare to see if the amount of oil that comes out will vary. I always put in the same amount, so I should be able to take a rather accurate measurement.