Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

Battery: Optima Red Top, Monster Cable Terminals, DC Sports Tie Down

Old 03-17-2002
DIY King

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Battery: Optima Red Top, Monster Cable Terminals, DC Sports Tie Down

I'm getting a nice little combination of products that will spruce up my engine bay a little bit.

Optima Red Top 75/35-925 or 75/35/25 (unsure of model number because of website discrepencies) - $112

This might be how it looks like, but the image may not be exact. It's hard to find out the exact information about this model. I know that it's pretty small, so it has the best chance of fitting in the stock location out of all of the Optima batteries. I chose the Red Top instead of the Yellow Top because I won't have a huge system and it has more cranking amps (hot or cold) than the Yellow Top. This is good for where I live since it gets pretty cold.

Monster Cable MBC2+ and MBC2- (the + and - are slightly different for each terminal) - $44

Check this link out for more information: NEW MONSTER® CAR POWER™ LINE They look good, they have what I need, and they're not too pricey. I won't be using them for audio now, but I might later on. I mainly need them to look good. Although I will hook up my Hella Air Horns to these terminals. Should be an easier install with these.

DC Sports Tie Down - $48

I think almost everyone knows about this product. I think it'll work well with the rest of this stuff. Just an accessory, or maybe not. Who knows how the battery will end up fitting? Maybe this battery tie down will fit better with the Optima Red Top battery than the stock tie down?
Old 03-17-2002
Registered!!

BLUENVY01 is an unknown quantity at this point
that should look real good! where did u order everything from? or did u just order the parts individually from the manufacturers? this would deffinitely be a mod that i would be interested in!
Old 03-17-2002
BAK
Registered!!

BAK is an unknown quantity at this point
Grey - Options Auto Salon has the DC Sports battery tie down for $40 polished and $42 for colored. Best price I've seen so far.
Old 03-17-2002
Registered!!

nongv is an unknown quantity at this point
where do you get the battery at?
Old 03-17-2002
DIY King

BLUENVY01: I ordered everything seperately. I couldn't find one place that had all of these things.

BAK: Yep, that's where I got it from. Hehe... It came out to $48 with shipping and handling. I wanted to buy something else while I was at it to offset the cost of shipping, but I couldn't find anything. Oh well...

nongv: I got the battery from: BatteryWeb.com

I got the battery terminals from www.wirecloset.com, but now I can't find the product on their page? Hum... This bugs me. I found the link through Google.com and I even got a receipt when I ordered. If they don't come, then I guess I'll have to call them and tell them not to send me any and go order them from some other place.

Anyway... I might write up a little DIY with some pics and what not when I get all this stuff. Not too complex, but it'll give people an idea for a mod.
Old 03-17-2002
Registered!!

emmagatorone is an unknown quantity at this point
Very nice Grey! I had one of those batteries in my jeep with gold connectors and all! My 9,000lb winch was hooked up to it along with everything else! Very good batteries! Especially if you roll over![IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-17-2002
Registered!!

DogstyleEX is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes Grey... We love DIY's!!
Old 03-17-2002
www.ImportFactor.Com

WhosYoDadday85 should not be trustedWhosYoDadday85 should not be trusted
I wouldn't mind a DIY :-D
Old 03-18-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Derek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz Erthang
not sure if the battery tie down will fit with that new batt. why did you get the lead acid over the gel cell battery? that's pretty expensive for an acid battery.

D
Old 03-18-2002
DIY King

That's kinda funny 'cause...

<< Q: What is a Gel Cell Battery?
A:
A gel battery is a sealed, lead-acid battery utilizing a gelling agent in its electrolyte to reduce movement and water loss during normal use. They generally employ a positive pressure valve in place of open vent to recombine gas generated during cycling back into water. Gel batteries are typically utilized in cycling applications having no tolerance for routine maintenance or exposure to electrolyte.
>>

As far as I know, these Optima batteries are top notch. This is a little quote that might explain this a little better...

<< We are offering Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) batteries for our customers that demand the very best performance from their batteries. These batteries may be shipped via UPS ground without any special regulations. AGM batteries are sometimes called dry cell, Gel- Cell, regulated valve, or starved lead acid batteries. These AGM design batteries are a preferred replacement for the older gel-cell battery design.

We recommend AGM for a variety of reasons. The two brands we have selected to carry are Optima, best for starting or starting/deep cycle. MK Battery, these batteries are best for deep cycle or stand-by purposes. However AGM batteries are know for their ability to deliver high bursts of amperage when demanded.

• There are a number of reasons to purchase AGM batteries; each reason will carry a different level of importance depending on your battery use criteria.
  • Completely maintenance free, sealed construction eliminates periodic watering, corrosive acid fumes and spills.
  • Electrolyte will not stratify, no equalization charging required. Allows faster recharge.
  • Increases durability and deep cycle ability for heavy demand applications.
  • Less than 2% per month stand loss means little deterioration during transport and storage.
  • Tank formation ensures voltage matching between cells.
  • Transports easily and safely by air. No special containers needed
  • Ensures reliable service, support and quality.
  • Battery can be mounted on side or end & extremely vibration resistance.
>>

Old 03-18-2002
Registered!!

SQCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Optima is an excellent battery choice, I personally use the yellow top because of my system. For normal use the red is great.

D - go here and check out the info. Optima Batteries
Old 03-18-2002
Registered!!

Derek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz ErthangDerek-CEO Ownz Erthang
Ok, i didn't realize the composition of it.

BUt anyway, it's an odd shaped optima and it is pretty cheap and the site doesn't mention anything about it being a gell-cell battery.
All I'm saying is to check it out thorughly when u get it to make sure it is gel.

If it is, let us know, I will get mine there too!

D
Old 03-18-2002
Registered!!

ok, i just checked it out. it is a gel batt.

PDF link

THats a good deal

edit: crap! these guys are just down the street from me. No shipping. weeee! How are they selling it so cheap? $90!

D
Old 03-18-2002
Registered!!

Around $100 is not that unusual for the red top, the yellow's go for around $140 online. I've never seen that strange shape before either in an Optima.
Old 03-18-2002
Registered!!

I have been quoted $150 b4. I think I will go see these guys when I get back from daytona. I need 3 of them.
Old 03-18-2002
Registered!!

emmagatorone is an unknown quantity at this point
3! What for?
Old 03-18-2002
Registered!!

thundercats4ever is an unknown quantity at this point
You shoulda let me know, I could probably got the Monster Power stuff for you cheap, one of the benefits of working at Circuit City.
Old 03-18-2002
DIY King

Yeah, at $89.90 it's a pretty good deal. Although I saw a special while searching for Optima batteries on Google.com and I found one for $75! I couldn't buy it though since it was a picture ripped out of a magazine and it was a while back. Oh well, that's the best deal that I could find. If anyone finds a better deal them let me know and I think I might just break down and cry. Well, maybe not.

[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

Hopefully all of this stuff will fit nicely in the stock location. If I need to prop the battery up somewhat, then no biggie. However, if I have to make it lower, then I'll have a problem. I'm the guinnea pig, so wait for me to do this before you buy one yourself. I'll post a little DIY in Tech Stuff when I get everything in.
Old 03-18-2002
Registered!!

3 cause i want one for my main batt and 2 reserve so i can power my puter and stereo for a while w/o starting the car.

there are other with the optima too, lowonair was the first. If I remember right, there was no probs.

D
Old 03-18-2002
DIY King

Hey, great. It's good to know that someone out there has this battery already.
Old 03-18-2002
www.ImportFactor.Com

Grey: What are "NEW MONSTER® CAR POWER™ LINE " things? I don't understand what they are for. Do you replace the little connector that's on the + and - lead that connects to the battery (the one's that you loosen up to unhook your battery). Or are they just for like sound system stuff?[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-18-2002
Registered!!

D-the yellow top would be perfect for what you are wanting to do. It is a deep cycle & designed to be used when the car is not running.
Old 03-18-2002
Registered!!

ya, thats what i was thinking about. red for ignition, and 1 or 2 yellow for the system.
Old 03-18-2002
Registered!!

Actually, you could keep it real simple and do just fine with a single yellow top under the hood. My entire system will run off a single yellow top. I've talked to Optima on the phone at length about this. The yellow top, although not designed as a primary starting battery, is more than capable of providing all the cranking capability you need. Below is what they told me & it's also posted on their site....

"The OPTIMA Yellow Top™ Deep Cycle Battery should be used in the following cases:
Starting applications in high-accessory vehicles/High Cycling Applications. Vehicles with computers, extra radios, electronic components, lights, winches, etc. will create excessive amperage drain that can damage a starting battery. Recommend the OPTIMA Yellow Top to provide fast recharging and longer life due to its' ability to cycle over 300 times."

Old 03-18-2002
www.ImportFactor.Com

I don't think you'll need two yellow's Derek. Try one first, and if that doesn't turn out out to be enough, then buy a 2nd one. But most likley 1 should be enough unless you gonna like run it for 10 hours at a time haha

EDIT: Derek, what kind of carputer you running? Specs..(cpu speed/type, ram, hd (you're doing firewire right?), gps?, dvd?). Also are you powering it by DC-DC power supply, or inverter? And where is the actual CPU placed?

Here's mine:

-1ghz Thunderbird
-256mb PC133 RAM
-20gig HD
-Copilot 2002 GPS
-DVD