Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

R34 rear bumper problems with fitment

Old 05-02-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
starfox is an unknown quantity at this point
R34 rear bumper problems with fitment

not sure if you guys can help me , but here is my question.
i bought an R34 rear bumper (fiberglass) for my sedan. I test fit it and it fits fine except the only place on the bumper where it has holes to screw onto is on the trunk portion of the bumper ( where trunk meets bumper). The fitment is good around the tail lights and sides except that on the sides it protrudes a bit. This is because there are no holes where i can screw it on to keep it flush where the stock one screwed and cliped on (by the corner of the taillight). I went to a body shop and they said i needed brackets or rivets or something. They want to charge like $200 bucks to install it!! All i need to know is how to attach the part that has no holes so the bumper is flush. Maybe any one who has this bumper can help with install.
Old 05-02-2006
Registered!!

Cypher is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah mine had the same problem. the fiberglass bumper is crap. the sides stuck out cause it didnt catch the hooks and under the trunk it stuck out a little too. i ended up selling it to someone else haha
Old 05-02-2006
Registered!!

starfox is an unknown quantity at this point
oh man, that sucks, yeah the sides wont catch the hooks on mine either. I guess i'll try to fit somehow. Dont know how yet.
Old 05-02-2006
Registered!!

RedDragon333 will become famous soon enough
Thats the price you pay for FG, its cheaper to make therfore cheaper to sell so you have to play around with it a bit to get it to fit. FG rarely fits perfect. GL tho Most body shops can do a good job of making things fit but be careful sometimes you can get cracks in the paint over time due to stress of fitment
Old 05-07-2006
Registered!!

paradoxblue will become famous soon enough
fg is cheaper to buy. more to install i had a front fg bumper. bumper cost very little. then 850 dollars to install. sigh

im never buying FG again lol
Old 05-07-2006
Registered!!

Cypher is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah live and learn, fiberglass quality is crap i guess its the way its made in the mold or whatever.
Old 05-07-2006
Registered!!

ill02civic will become famous soon enoughill02civic will become famous soon enough
Yah Man .. I Had The Same Problem W/ My R34 Bumper....both Sides Didn't Have Enough Fiberglass To Drill Holes For The Screws....sucks..let Me Know If U Got A Better Idea...
Old 05-07-2006
Registered!!

civicstylez is an unknown quantity at this point
aight jus thought id thro my idea out there. ok well i got a coupe and had the same prob under the lights they'd pop out ok. so what i did was take out my lights push it very tightly and put a small screw that went under my lights looks good now nice fit and u cant even see the screw
Old 05-11-2006
Registered!!

mradam85 should not be trustedmradam85 should not be trustedmradam85 should not be trusted
^^^ coupes are alot easier than sedans
Old 05-11-2006
Registered!!

Christian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by mradam85
^^^ coupes are alot easier than sedans

dude i totally agree with you! and those thats having a hard time taking care of it just drive carefully and know your roads. but uhh heres mine guys its a VIS fiberglass Brand and they come predrilled at the area for the trunk bolts. any questions on how i did it just ask.looks better when maximized
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	my rear.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	66217  
Old 09-08-2008
Registered!!

Keet will become famous soon enough
Re: R34 rear bumper problems with fitment

OK first sorry to be the one bringing this back from the grave, but this is the newest thread I found dealing with fiberglass rear bumper fitment, and that's what I'm trying to do now.

I figured doing the work myself would save me hundreds, and if it doesn't look good I could always take it to a shop. Well, it _IS_ very possible to do this. I'm filing down everything extra that sticks out, and I might have to add where its missing.

My question for anyone whose done this before or has any knowledge is: did you keep the 4 plastic guides that the bumper snaps onto under and beside the tail lights?

I ask because I have them removed for now and the bumper can fit rather easily without them, but to get the bumper to line up and fit into them will be LOTS of extra work... (I bet anything even the shops don't do this). Except I'm worried that just the 6 screws won't be enough to hold the bumper securely and I'll make a complete fool out of myself if the bumper breaks off going over a speed bump or something.

If you know what I'm talking about then any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 09-09-2008
Registered!!

dryft will become famous soon enough

keet i'm sorry i can't directly help you, but like the thread reads. its damn near impossible to get these fiber glass body parts to fit parfect.

i have the EVO 5 rear bumper (& r34 front), and it had to be CUT IN HALF in the middle (horizontally) b/c it was way too wide. So the shop actually left the original bumper top half on, and MOLDED the new evo 5 bumper to the bottom of that. Just something to consider i guess.

as for support for the rear, i know the painter made up 2 braces on either side of this 3/4" wide, flat metal material. if you need me to i can take a picture of where these connect to.

mine was $900 for install and paint.
and like it says above, my kit is cracking and flaking EVERYWHERE!

sorry i couldn't be of more assistance
Old 09-10-2008
Registered!!

Keet will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dryft
keet i'm sorry i can't directly help you, but like the thread reads. its damn near impossible to get these fiber glass body parts to fit parfect.

i have the EVO 5 rear bumper (& r34 front), and it had to be CUT IN HALF in the middle (horizontally) b/c it was way too wide. So the shop actually left the original bumper top half on, and MOLDED the new evo 5 bumper to the bottom of that. Just something to consider i guess.

as for support for the rear, i know the painter made up 2 braces on either side of this 3/4" wide, flat metal material. if you need me to i can take a picture of where these connect to.

mine was $900 for install and paint.
and like it says above, my kit is cracking and flaking EVERYWHERE!

sorry i couldn't be of more assistance
Thanks for the quick response. I'm in the garage, shaving the #$%&er down right now and it's starting to give me a headache cuz I can already see where there's going to be huge gaps and total misalignments. I assumed when you pay like $200 for a fiberglass part, that it's actually symetrical. LOL, I coulda made my own bumper myself from scratch had I known this.

My plan is to TRY to use the 4 plastic guides under/beside the taillights, and if it won't line up at all (or if it lines up worse with them on) then I can always leave them off. All I lose is some extra material on the inside corners of the bumper, you wouldn't see this anyways.

Hey I got the same sideskirts as you, they're really awesome but I wish they were available in urethane with a more OEM fitment. I have bolts drilled under my rocker panels to hold them on, and also 4 of those same brackets you're talking about.

I think I'll end up using similar brackets underneath the bumper where the two plastic rivets attach, cuz I think the fiberglass bumper is much lower at those two points and I'm sketchy about leaving that part completely unsupported, especially with winter coming.

I swear this is the last time I'm getting anything fiberglass. People say you can repair it easier (it's true, I CAN repair and work with fiberglass), well if you smash it to bits then a lot of good that will do you, you'd still need paint even if you did succeed. The idea is not to crash it up in the first place except the few scrapes you might get, otherwise you're looking at total replacement and hopefully that'll be an insurance thing.

...and wow, that's crazy about your bumper being molded in half. It's an excellent job they did with it tho, must be a really good shop to be able to do this.

So anyone got anything on those 4 OEM plastic snap guides under the taillights?