Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

Hows the RIDE on COILOVERS? BUMPY, GOOD?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
netcbc is an unknown quantity at this point
RAVES AND RANTS ABOUT GROUND CONTROL? HOWS THE RIDE?

I checked the review section as well as did a search (hah so don't shout at me about that!!) anyways just wanted to start this post since the other ones are older and maybe now people have had them on longer,
so what are bad things about these? I heard something about something breaking, forgot what it was.... , also the rumour that ALL coilovers have bumpy rides? do these?

goods ---> do they ride good like springs?? how's the drop and settling?

i just bought a pair and i woudl really like to know, so many differen't comments about these, not sure if i should just go springs
Old 02-20-2002
Registered!!

EcKo2k1Ex is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey whats up i just instaled my groundcontrols two days ago. I think there a good right for the most part. Right now i have it lowered about just over 2 1/2 " THe drop looks great. I guess what i payed for them there worth it. Im sure once i get aftermarket shocks the right will be great. But as of now im on stock shocks and its a little bumpy, but thats what you get with coilovers that are sleaves. Im just use to a full coilover like n1s . But hey im happy with them and they give me the look i want.

laterz,
John
Old 02-20-2002
Registered!!

DonJuan is an unknown quantity at this point
EcKo2k1Ex: What's the ride quality like on the "softest" setting on a true set of coilovers like the N1's you had?

I was looking to get some B&G / Intrax Coilovers that are rebound & Compression adjustable.

At the same time I didn't want to lose a comfortable ride quality completely.

Any opinions/feedback on this would be great.

Thanks

- kenneth
Old 02-20-2002
Registered!!

FlexEX is an unknown quantity at this point
imo GCs are the best coilovers to get unless of course you are getting a fully adjustable coilover/strut system. the GCs are better than regular springs because you can tweek them untill you are satisfied with the ride height whereas regular springs give you a set ride height. ive seen people who have springs where the rear of the car is much lower than the front and it just doesnt look right. Im happy with my GCs!

oh yeah, the only down side is that sometimes they squeak for the first few weeks after you install them, but never fear, it only part of the settling process and it will eventually go away
Old 02-20-2002
Registered!!

hi the squeaky problem has been resolved, basically you just need to grease it up with some good grease, ground control can send you some if you need it, just wondering about ride quality and stuff........
Old 02-20-2002
Registered!!

htowncivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
Now I'm not sure if the Ground Control springs themselves are a little bit stiffer than stock, or if it's just the reduced suspension travel due to my 2" drop, but they do ride a little more stiffer than stock. That being said, I am quite satisfied with the ride quality and handling.
Old 02-20-2002
Registered!!

its just that i heard people keep on saying "coilovers" in general have a crappy bumpy ride
Old 02-20-2002
Registered!!

Well i have had 3 different types of coilovers in the past. On my 99 hatch i first had shunks and let me tell you that was the worst ride i have ever had. it bounced like i had hydros. That last about a week lol and then i upgraded to a FULL coilover set up which was the apexi N1's with upperpillow mounts.. I never had them on a soft setting. I always had them on the firmest setting i could get The ride was awesome, yeah it was stiff but when you can take 90 degree coners at 45 - 50 with outh slowing down... then you dont mine. On my hatch all i had was the n1s at frist and i could take coners faster then my friend that had a 99 si and he had everything dun to his car. konis, springs,swaybars, strut bars everything. and all i had was just shocks. But yeah back to the ground controls.. they are so so much better designed then the shunks. they seem more beefyer.

laterz,
John
aol- EcKo2k1Ex
Old 02-20-2002
Registered!!

sweet, hope there good
Old 02-20-2002
Registered!!

CivicLX620 is an unknown quantity at this point
So are you saying that you dont need to buy new shocks like konis to have good ride quality with GC's coilovers. Cuz this has always scared me getting coilovers with stock shocks and bouncin all over the place. Do you think koni shocks are worth it with GC coilovers
Old 02-20-2002
Registered!!

DonJuan is an unknown quantity at this point
I am starting to think that true threaded coilovers are the way to go.

Old 02-20-2002
Registered!!

Yeah would get koni's
Old 02-20-2002
Registered!!

RedDragon333 will become famous soon enough
The rides gonna be a little bumpy unless you replace the stock shocks and struts with performance ones...even when you just use drop springs...ive rode on both and the coilovers are what im gonna go with when i get the body kit, really bad roads here so i want the ability to raise and lower at will! GO with Ground Controls
Old 02-21-2002
Registered!!

well you can't lower and raise at will unless you know how to take them out and stuff i guess
Old 02-21-2002
Registered!!

trevor is an unknown quantity at this point
no,you can adjust w/ given wrench........you dont have to take apart your whole strut.....
and also ,,,,,If you change your ride height all the time,,,,and you want to keep your tires.....you had better be prepared to pay 60$ everytime for alighment.....thatd' be a pain in the rear if you ask me.......

sure if you cahnged it like twice a year that might be ok.....but whatever i ll quit jabbin.
peace.trevor.
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-21-2002
Registered!!

NeoMagus is an unknown quantity at this point
I was reluctant to lower but put Ground Control's on my 99 Si... its lowered about an inch and a half, two inches on stock shocks and the ride feels like stock, unlike in my Celica which was bumpy as all hell. Overall im impressed
Old 02-21-2002
Registered!!

you dont need a alignment everytime you lower your car.. lol thats a waste of money
Old 02-21-2002
Registered!!

trevor is an unknown quantity at this point
what???? are you crazy?????

no,no,,.......If you drop your car and you dont get it alinged your tires are gonna wear funny and youll be spending lots and lots of cash.........but do what you want.....[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

example........if its summer, you got 18's....you drop your car 2"........drive for 6months 9000 miles......then in the winter, raise it back up to stock height,,,,drive 9000 more miles.........and do this all the time..........[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]youll be spending 700$$ bones a year on tires........
Every shop should recomend that when changing the ride height of your car you should realign your car within 100 miles.........[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]
peace
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-21-2002
Registered!!

once you put on GC's you can adjust it easily? how?
Old 02-21-2002
Registered!!

UTVoL is an unknown quantity at this point
I noticed a couple ppl (don't know their names though) off hand that have GC's & Koni's... Basically from what i'm hearing... its not the worst ride ever w/ just GC's, but Konis would make a better quality ride...
Old 02-22-2002
Registered!!

net cbc

you take your tire off on the coilover you want to adjust there is like a dial that says <-- Down Up ---> you simply twist the dial to lower or raise the car...ive noticed the front is a lot harder to adjust than the rear tho.
Old 02-23-2002
Registered!!

ohh i c
Old 03-05-2002
Registered!!

1028CiViC is an unknown quantity at this point
are these easy to adjust? just jack up the car for the ride height?
Old 03-05-2002
Registered!!

u jack up and then you have to twist the thing the coil sits on to adjust the height...messing with the front is terrible cuz of the weight the back is a piece of cake
Old 03-05-2002
Registered!!

1028CiViC is an unknown quantity at this point
but no need to take out the tire rite....
hm just wondering..i have neuspeed race.. is it gonna be more bumpy..or about the same.
Old 03-19-2002
Registered!!

TOOLOWCIVIC is an unknown quantity at this point
I have ground control and Konis and it is still a little bouncy. Not as much with stock shocks though.