Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

spring inside shift boot

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
genexrocket has a spectacular aura aboutgenexrocket has a spectacular aura about
spring inside shift boot

i've searched and i can't find it anywhere. i jus ordered a skunk2 shiftknob and was wondering if the "spring inside the shift boot" method would work to get the shift boot to stay up without buying an adapter
Old 11-02-2005
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,160 Likes on 808 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
i'd say just buy the adapter.. but that's just me.. its prolly less than 5 bucks.. and it wont be as ghetto..
Old 11-02-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
You would need a cone shaped spring. 10mm at the bottom to sit on the taper on the lever, probably 17-20 on top to hold the retainer in place. You could just wrap the lever in electric tape until the boot can't fall past it.
Old 11-02-2005
Registered!!

genexrocket has a spectacular aura aboutgenexrocket has a spectacular aura about
i heard they don't sell the adapters anymore, true??
Old 11-02-2005
A big, hairy Kentucky boy

stinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to allstinkypie is a name known to all
Originally Posted by genexrocket
i heard they don't sell the adapters anymore, true??
I bought one not too long ago. Don't use it now though. I think it's in my glovebox. I work at a dealership and can check tomorrow to see it's availability if I remember.
Old 11-02-2005
omgwtfbbq mod.

spoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to all
i didnt get the adapter when i put in my s2k ****......dont laugh..i know this is ghetto...but

Step 1: remove stock **** plus the boot. (the boot just pops right out)

Step 2: get some tape. I used the blue painters tape since thats what I had laying around, but electrical would work too.

Step 3: Start wrapping the tape around the shifter with the top of the tape covering the last 4 or 5 threads....make sure you put it on thick.

What this does, is when you go to put the boot back on, the little silver ring wont fit over the tape (as long as you put enough on) and when you go to thread on the new ****, it will wedge the ring inbetween the tape and the bottom of the ****, making it look stock. Keep threading the **** down until it is tight and the shift pattern is straight. BOOM.....you now have an aftermarket shif **** that looks stock.

IMO, this technique looks better than having the adapter on.

Unfortunately, I have no pics yet, but Ill try to take some tomorrow. Thats all there is to it and it only takes a couple of minutes.

oh yeah.....rep wouldnt hurt either.
Old 11-02-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by spoonEM
i didnt get the adapter when i put in my s2k ****......dont laugh..i know this is ghetto...but

Step 1: remove stock **** plus the boot. (the boot just pops right out)

Step 2: get some tape. I used the blue painters tape since thats what I had laying around, but electrical would work too.

Step 3: Start wrapping the tape around the shifter with the top of the tape covering the last 4 or 5 threads....make sure you put it on thick.

What this does, is when you go to put the boot back on, the little silver ring wont fit over the tape (as long as you put enough on) and when you go to thread on the new ****, it will wedge the ring inbetween the tape and the bottom of the ****, making it look stock. Keep threading the **** down until it is tight and the shift pattern is straight. BOOM.....you now have an aftermarket shif **** that looks stock.

IMO, this technique looks better than having the adapter on.

Unfortunately, I have no pics yet, but Ill try to take some tomorrow. Thats all there is to it and it only takes a couple of minutes.

oh yeah.....rep wouldnt hurt either.
wow, thank you; I might just do that pics would help a lot more too! THANK YOU!! repped

Last edited by genexrocket; 11-02-2005 at 11:05 PM.
Old 11-03-2005
omgwtfbbq mod.

spoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to allspoonEM is a name known to all
it looks way better than the adapter. kinda ghetto...but looks realy good. thanks for the rep btw.
Old 11-03-2005
Registered!!

twix4o8 is an unknown quantity at this point
i did the spring thing it works and it looks good ill post pics later but the top part where the boot clips just stays to the bottom of the **** its like $2 for 2 springs and not even noticable.
Old 12-21-2005
Registered!!

eyegiant is an unknown quantity at this point
I Did The Spring Thing Too. It Works Fine, But Prefer An Adapter Instead. I Think They Dicontinued It Over Here In Cali. Tried To Get One And The Parts Guy Told Me Honda Dicontinued It.
Old 12-21-2005
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
I was able to get my old RSX adapter before my car was towed to the junk yard.... I'll have to look for it, if you want it you can PM me.