Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

H&R Springs on EX 4 Door???

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FamilyMan is an unknown quantity at this point
H&R Springs on EX 4 Door???

I recently had H&R Springs (#51866) installed on my EX Sedan. When I looked at the box they came in, that now had my OEM springs in it, the label said "not for EX 4 Door" Well, I called H&R and they said that's right we don't make springs for the 4 Door EX. This was news to the shop that ordered and installed these springs for me. So now I have springs on my car that H&R says they don't recommend be on it. Can't really get a straight answer from H&R as to why at this time. I was told also, that they do not plan on manufacturing a spring for this car. I searched through member rides and can only find newkid who has a sedan with H&R springs. Does anyone know whether or not I can/should keep these springs on my car. The shop said they fit perfectly. It seems to me the rear is dropped more than the front. I noticed one other sedan in member rides with the Eibach springs. Anyone out there with some insight on this? I would appreciate the input. Thanks.
Old 01-23-2002
Registered!!

01civicboi is an unknown quantity at this point
that's odd. i always thought the sedan and coupe used the same springs [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-23-2002
Registered!!

Yes it is odd. That's why I need some input. Should I run these or not? Anyone know?
Old 01-23-2002
Premium Member

Bartkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Front Strut Assembly Sedan

Front Strut Assebmly Coupe

These are the parts diagrams for the OEM front struts. The springs for the coupe and sedan have the same part number.

It appears that Honda uses the same springs on the coupe and sedan.

There are differences between the automatic and the manual tans models, but not between coupe and sedan with the same trans.
Old 01-23-2002
Registered!!

Thanks for the info. I forgot to mention that the gal at H&R said the problem was something with the rear springs.
Old 01-23-2002
Premium Member

Then go to the site I linked and look for the part numbers for the rear springs. See if they are different.

CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE LINKS FOR HONDA SPECIFIC PARTS SITES
Old 01-23-2002
Registered!!

I did. Thanks for the link. On the 4 Dr they listed 2 part # for the rear springs and on the 2 Dr they listed only one, and that one was the same for the 4 Dr. So, I guess I'm really not sure what the problem is. They only showed one spring in the rear diagram. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-23-2002
Premium Member

Sure thing. That's the best I can do as I have no personal experience with the sedan or springs.

[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-24-2002
Registered!!

1028CiViC is an unknown quantity at this point
i was selling my h&r sport springs for my coupe and i called one of my friends that has a modifying shop they said it wouldn't fit but i don't why..
Old 01-24-2002
Registered!!

mochopechochochi is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a LX sedan I have H&R springs and I got the same problem the back is dropped more than the front. I know that the springs are same for all the modles but I plan to change the spring anyways. I’m going to try Neuspeed spring. Does anyone have Neuspeed? If so how did they turn out?
Old 01-24-2002
Registered!!

I have found out more info. 1st reason H&R told me is that the EX 4 door weighs more and they made the spring to work with the other models with less weight. That the springs hadn't been safety tested with the 4 Dr EX. 2nd reason is that they found that the 4 Dr EX (some of them anyway) had been manufactured with 2 different length shocks on the rear end. Odd. They said that apparently not all are, but all the ones they inspected had been. They are located in WA. Due to that they decided not to manufacture springs for that model. From the links above, when you look at the honda parts for the rear shock absorber, it seems that there are 2 different parts for about 4 or 5 of the items in the assembly. This is too odd. Does anyone know anything about this? Both my shocks are identical and the ride height is level in the rear. Still my front end looks too high for me as far a wheel well gap, even though the car is level as measured from road to sheet metal. Does anyone know of a fix to drop the front another inch? I know VWs have aftermarket spring mounts that do the trick. No one I can find knows anything about 2001 Hondas or these kind of parts for them. Any help?
Old 01-26-2002
Registered!!

newkid is an unknown quantity at this point
sorry dude i hardly read products and parts but yeah...i have h & r sport on my lx...so does nymbus2k...both of us from toronto...the rear appears lower than the front for both of us...this problem doesn't arise with any of the coupe owners that i know...

i've gotten used to it...i may switch to a different brand of spring...such as prokits...but other than that i have had no major problems with the h & r sport...i noticed that on the site it says not for the 4DR EX...at the time i bought my springs (late august 2001) it didn't have any warnings on the site...

Old 01-27-2002
Registered!!

Maverick is an unknown quantity at this point
just dump the h&r and go with progress springs. inexpensive, but very good. better to be safe. i'm a family man too and i wouldn't want my son in my car with springs that were designed for a lighter car. i have a 4dr ex as well and i can't tell you how nice it looks all the way around, it's very even. actually most people say it drops more in the rear, it just looks that way because your wheel wells don't go up as much as the front. in any case, go with progress if you're looking to replace h&r. you can email if you have other tech questions on springs
Old 01-27-2002
Registered!!

Thanks Maverick. Still trying to sort things out. I will let you know what is up as soon as all is final.
Old 01-27-2002
Registered!!

phlipsidez is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey maverick, how much drop does the progress springs give? do you have pics???
Old 01-28-2002
Registered!!

Maverick is an unknown quantity at this point
They advertise it at 1.8", but I've put springs on several cars and mine look more like 2 ". I'm not a whiz at a computer nor do i have a digital cam or scanner so i can't give you a pic. i have regular photos. if you've seen the new kamanari pic with the new body kit, it looks like that with same wheels cept mine are gunmetal and it's an eensy weensy lower. in fact, rear tire is up in wheel well slightly.
Old 02-16-2002
Registered!!

Final update: I'm going to keep the H&R springs. Took all struts and springs apart again, and I don't have to different struts in back. To give the rear a little less sag I purchased 2 rubber spring seats from Honda (#52686-S5D-A01) and cut the lip off and ground it down flat like a rubber washer. Installed it between the plastic strut guard that holds the original and the metal part that fits in the strut tower. Gave my back end a 1/4 inch boost so now everything looks pretty good. There were some problems on the install that were causing the weird noises and those are fixed now as well. My car does however vear slightly to the left still and no one can figure out why. Any thoughts? The alignment is right on, and there is a camber kit on the back too.