Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

Tranny Fluid Cooler REVIEW

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004
ThE FaMiLy SeDaN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rijowysock will become famous soon enough
Tranny Fluid Cooler REVIEW

i wasnt sure how to post a review into review section someone do me the favor:

Product:HAYDEN automotive transaver transmission-cooler
17000GVW
website: www.bulkpart.com (http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...tegory_Code=HC)
Price: $24.22
Shipping: $8.50
Suggested install time: 30mins
Real install time: 2 hours (not because of lack skill, read below.)
Tools needed: plyers, philips head, flat head, knife, toenail clippers.

excessive heat in transmission fluid causes transmission to shift harshly, usualy noticed on long trips. hayden transmission cooler can be mounted in 3 different locations for different affectiveness. i chose to mount mine in the very front of radiator etc. for 100% effectiveness i also chose the add-on option rather than the stand-alone option. below is my install

install:

first began by opening my box, i received box 3 days after paying for it, which i say is damn fast. box was properly wrapped and came in pefect condition. upon opening box, all supplies needed are included besides tools listed above.

removing bumper=5min with flat head and philips head screwdriver, see diy for instructions.

next when looking down engine bay in between A/c fans and tranny u will see two metal pipes coming from transmission, one's origin is the back of transmission that is the out line, and origin top of transmission is the return line. (u can also note this by turning on car for 10seconds and feeling lines the return line is much cooler.)

start by undoing the hose clamps(this was the most time consuming part for me.. took approx 1.5 hours because of lack of space and well i dont have big hands but they wouldnt fit. the hose clamps u must squeeze with approx 50lbs torque to get em loosened and then must pull em down off the oem hose.. i removed both(top going into tranny, and the hose clam on oem hose where it goes into the radiator(they say to reuse oem but.. i found better otherwise)

take this time to cool off and mess w/ tranny cooler. i grabbed the hose included and cut it directly in half (after measuring half was perfect) dip ur finger in the tranny fluid and rub on ends of the tranny cooler, it lubes it so hose goes on better. i put on both hoses and clamped them. then i grabbed the black "modified zip ties" and inserted them into the tranny cooler on ends.. top bottom (see pic black circles)on back put the stick on foampeices..(the zip tie goes thru middle) i then put the hose clamps on the hose and set it aside. snaking the hoses thru the bottom pass side of radator(between radiator and the frame)push the ends where they need to be..

clamps undone, cooler ready. remove the oem hose. WARNING: approx 5-6 ouces of fluid will leak, jack up car and work expeditely. grab a towel and push the bottom line onto radiator, then undo top and push onto the metal pipe. slide hose clamps to their desired location and then fasten tightly (25lbs torque) go over all clamps once over to assure proper tightness. once done.. i measures on my radiator "center" and put dots where i then "snaked" the "modified zip ties thru" on other side i pushed on the "corresponding end" and then searched for a tool to use that would fit in bay and cut the ends off.. TOENAIL clippers. i grabbed mine and they worked perfectly.. i snipped ends flush and the fans spin free of any interferences.

once done.. i ran engine and then checked the fluid level.. it was right in the middle of "area" on dipstick. i was suprised... but hey now i can retun that AFT fluid i bought.. even with the fluid flowing thru the cooler and hoses its still full.

once done i put bumper back on snapped a pic^^^

and took her for a ride.

average my engine temp would be in middle it now rests about 15% lower when driving. the shifting is alot smoother and doesnt "down shift on accident anymore"

anywho, for the $ spent/saved and install time i feel it was worth the money.

feel free to PM w/ questions and concerns.
thank you.

riley
Old 10-29-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Good writeup. I mounted mine in the upper left corner between condenser and radiator, so prolly isn't helping that much.
Old 10-29-2004
Prowlin' with a Purpose

WannaBFast will become famous soon enoughWannaBFast will become famous soon enough
NICE, this is a MUST if you have an automatic, not for immediate solutions, but in the long run it will save your tranny
Old 10-29-2004
Jam out with your clam out.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
abmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questioned
for those who wish they had an FMIC
Old 10-29-2004
ThE FaMiLy SeDaN

abmerop do u get extra points for being a dic k
Old 10-29-2004
Registered!!

kikoy has a little shameless behaviour in the past
i have one on my civic too.....its mounted right before the condenser......you can see it in my link at the signature....
Old 10-29-2004
YS
Registered!!

YS is an unknown quantity at this point
here's mine ... JMO ATF Cooler

Old 10-30-2004
MIT
Registered!!

MIT is an unknown quantity at this point
so how this thing work.....save AT tranny?
Old 10-30-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
It cools some of the fluid before returning it to the auto trans. A cooler trans will last longer, because heat kills transmissions.
Old 10-30-2004
Custom Titles are played out

RiceRocketeer has a spectacular aura aboutRiceRocketeer has a spectacular aura aboutRiceRocketeer has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by YS
here's mine ... JMO ATF Cooler

I like both yours and sock's AT coolers.. which one performs better?
Old 10-30-2004
Fuzzy Boy

FuzzBeC00L is an unknown quantity at this point
Yea they both look good guys

And I don't think he get's more point's for being a **** but who knows
Old 10-30-2004
Registered!!

CivicS is an unknown quantity at this point
oky, thining about getting one for my AT, any recommended brands at reasonable price.........thanks,
Old 10-30-2004
ThE FaMiLy SeDaN

um read my reveiw!.lol cheapest one avail
Old 10-30-2004
Registered!!

steak84ss will become famous soon enoughsteak84ss will become famous soon enough
Nice idea. Gets me thinkin'