Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

How does a grounding kit increase HP??

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VVTSI is an unknown quantity at this point
How does a grounding kit increase HP??

Whats the theory?
Old 06-22-2004
Registered!!

ponyman is on a distinguished road
The theory is that if you have a better connection to ground you will be able to produce a better spark....This in turn will help to increase how efficiently you can burn the air/fuel mixture inside the cylinder...The same also goes for "upgraded" spark plugs, that better spark equals better ignition and more power...Unfortunately, the results you will see from either one, or both, of these tends to be rather anti-climatic...However, as far as grounding kits go, from my understanding you are more likely to have less electrical "drain" under idle than anything else....So, if you are running a high wattage system, or some high wattage bulbs then it might be a worth-while investment.
Old 06-24-2004
Registered!!

Skunk2ner is an unknown quantity at this point
well said
Old 06-24-2004
Registered!!

joe6680 will become famous soon enoughjoe6680 will become famous soon enough
I'm sure any noticeable HP gains will be wiped out by the added weight. Grounding kits are more for looks and handeling as opposed to HP gains.
Old 06-24-2004
Registered!!

ponyman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by joe6680
I'm sure any noticeable HP gains will be wiped out by the added weight. Grounding kits are more for looks and handeling as opposed to HP gains.

Who mentioned weight, I mean 5lbs for a grounding kit, hell your backpack weighs more than that...so weight is not really an issue...and how on earth does a grounding kit affect handling??? maybe I'm missing something, but I'm pretty sure they are not related.
Old 06-24-2004
Banned by Admin
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Master should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trusted

I think you are thinking of ground effects not grounding kits. How the hell are wires gonna weight so much that it takes away fromy your performance. Oh and how do wires in the engine bay effect your handeling?
Old 06-24-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tacheon is on a distinguished road
I said it before on another thread, but I'll say it again here...
Somebody show me show me a controlled test of where this actually improves fuel economy and horsepower. So far the only sites I have seen which claim any benefit are those who are trying to sell you a kit of some sort. Grounding loss is negligible. Try to measure it with an ohmmeter or scope. I bet you can't measure it on a digital multimeter because you won't be able to distinguish it from the multimeter's specified error for the meter.
Old 06-24-2004
Banned by Admin

Master should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trusted
^^^^^uhhhhhhhh yeah
Old 06-24-2004
I spent 1425 points to do this.

SOHC is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah... hes thinking of body kits... which is understandable considering the thread title.
Old 06-24-2004
Banned by Admin

the title is self explanitory it says grounding kit not bodykit or ground effects
Old 06-24-2004
Registered!!

HELP_ME is an unknown quantity at this point
haha...
Old 06-25-2004
Registered!!

Somebody please show me some conclusive evidence of these grounding kits fulfilling claims of increased horsepower and mileage. It seems to me that the only people that are gaining from these so-called grounding kits are the people who are selling them.
Old 06-25-2004
Registered!!

gangrel138 is an unknown quantity at this point
Well. I bought into the hype from gearbox and what other members on this forum have said about improving the grounding system and ordered a Sun Hyper Voltage System. Since I keep good track of my gas mileage I'll post a report after I install it. I'm usually around 34.5-35 MPG.
Old 06-25-2004
Registered!!

obguam is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by tacheon
Somebody please show me some conclusive evidence of these grounding kits fulfilling claims of increased horsepower and mileage. It seems to me that the only people that are gaining from these so-called grounding kits are the people who are selling them.
Well I don't have any "conclusive evidence" for you, but about a year ago Sport Compact and at least one other import tuner mag did some "objective" dyno testing of the Sun Auto GK on several different cars, and reported surprisingly consistent and generally favorable results, albeit only slight HP gains. I can also honestly (but subjectively) attest that since a Bridge Motorsport's GK and Hyper Voltage System were installed in my car there's been much less static on my radio, my lights no longer get noticeably dimmer in neutral and my throttle response seems a bit more crisp. Many other 7thgen members have installed grounding kits and reported satisfactory results. Their overwhelmingly positive assessments are as conclusive to me as any single, purportedly accurate dyno test.
Old 06-29-2004
Registered!!

Haven't been back to the track to see if my time has picked up but I put in my HVS and it seems like the car has gotten a little more responsive. Gas mileage before was 34.9 MPG and it seems right now like it might be the same on this tank or could possibly go up a tiny bit.
Old 06-29-2004
Registered!!

Mistro is an unknown quantity at this point
heh i know he was thinking about ground effects

but if theirs any one of you actuall out there who there who think those wires are going to add too much weight then you might also want to consider going to jenny craig or that other gay guy.. umm .. simmons or something. That would shave a few pounds of the car. Or an important part of the car ... YOU!
Old 07-06-2004
Registered!!

itskalvin will become famous soon enough
how much do the hyper voltage systems go for and were can i find a good deal on these
Old 07-06-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I got mine from optauto.com for around $180? They're not cheap, and you want the type MR. Basically it works like a big capacitor to stabilize voltage leaving the battery.
Old 07-06-2004
My penis is just like all my posts, very very short

zachgeyer has a spectacular aura aboutzachgeyer has a spectacular aura about
maybe
Old 07-07-2004
Registered!!

If you get an HVS go to the Rotary Xecret 7 website. Got the MR for $150 after shipping and received my order after 3 days.
Old 07-07-2004
Registered!!

Crashoveride is an unknown quantity at this point
I also read an article from Sport Compact and Import Tuner that did dyno tests on them and they came up with maybe 1-2 HP gains, but thats it really, but its not just about HP its about better grounding, fuel mileage, ect .....

Just my $0.02

Crashoveride
Old 07-08-2004
up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-b-a-b-a-start

R1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of light
Heres a a quote I found from a 1.8T guy who dynoed after his ground kit...

Overall stock with Evo intake I made 177.8hp to the wheels and torque was 186.6. With the grounding kit I made 179.0hp and 195.7 torque to the wheels. Overall gains were 1.2 hp and 9.1 tq. This was obviously less then expected but we are going to experiment with the kit and different points on the car.
Also, found this article... Suzuki Aerio: http://www.importtuner.com/tech/0212it_ppsuzuki/

Quote from the Article:
How much good can a measly set of ground wires do? We asked ourselves the same question and felt really stupid when 4-5 hp gains were not unusual at some points in the powerband. It only let up at the high-end, registering a 1.5 hp increase, but still managed to smooth out the low-end power and torque.
Old 07-08-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by R1Style
Heres a a quote I found from a 1.8T guy who dynoed after his ground kit...

Also, found this article... Suzuki Aerio: http://www.importtuner.com/tech/0212it_ppsuzuki/

Quote from the Article:
I found the same article. It should be noted that a dyno run back to back doesn't mean that they're identical tests. Almost everybody who has run on a dyno can tell you that their second run on a dyno is almost always higher than their first. Usually by 1-2% higher due to the engine oil warming up and flowing better, as well as the tires warming up etc. So if you were to dyno a car once as a so-called baseline, then add the ground wires on a subsequent run, you couldn't say conclusively that the ground wires contributed to the small horsepower increase. A better test would be to do multiple runs with the ground wires added on the first and second for multiple tests and see what sort of numbers you get. The same applies to all "before and after" dyno tests done for any component replacement.
Old 07-08-2004
Registered!!

A more practical real world test would be at the drag strip. Make a few runs without the ground kit and then a few more with the ground kit. The real world E.T.'s don't lie.