Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

Tinting windows on a sedan

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
Tinting windows on a sedan

I've noticed a lot of people with Coupes only tint the rear window and then that little rear side window on each side, and it looks pretty cool.

For those of us with sedans, what about tinting the rear window and then also tinting the back seat windows? I used to think it looked dumb, until I saw this signature picture:

Yeah, that looks pretty cool.

So what do you think?

Also, I've heard tinting your windows can reduce the effectiveness of radar detectors. Have you heard this?

IronFist
Old 07-19-2003
Lek
Registered!!

Lek is an unknown quantity at this point
That's my next car, but I'm not going to put tints on the rear only.
Old 07-19-2003
I sure wish my car was newer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
white2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of light
Most people don't just put tint on their rear windows. They usually tint the rears as dark as possible and the front lighter. That car definately has tinted front windows. It looks to me like it has limo tint (5) in the back and maybe 35 on the front.

I live in Illinois, too. The law says you can't have anything on your front windows, but as long as you keep it 35 or above, you won't get hasseled about it. I'd go with 5 in the back (including the rear doors), 35 on the sides, and a 25 eyebrow. That's what I have and I love it.

I wouldn't invest too much in that theory about radar detectors. It detects the entire car - not just the windows.
Old 07-19-2003
Ricerus Maximus

clownprince will become famous soon enoughclownprince will become famous soon enough
I've got 20 on the side windows and 15 on the back, it's dark all the way around. I don' t like it on cars when the back is darker than the front, to me that just looks like you were cheap and did a half job.
Old 07-20-2003
Premium Member

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
White2K2EX, I don't mean tinted windows makes your car harder to detect. I meant it makes your radar detector less effective because it has to pick up the cop's signal through a tinted window.

IronFist
Old 07-20-2003
Registered!!

blackcivic28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow, shiat I didnt know that.

BTW, I have 20%, 12%, 6% in that order. It doesnt look that bad, but it would be cooler if it was like 15%, 12/10%, 6%, that would flow better. I havent been pulled over for tint yet (watch, I get pulled over tomorrow for it), and I have had the tint for 5 months plus.
Old 07-20-2003
OsOBaNNeD

OsOBooSTeD is an unknown quantity at this point
i got limo all around...second car in ... see my driver side window is open.. but the rest are closed... limo tint looks soo nice!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dscf0146.gif
Views:	171
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	5390  
Old 07-20-2003
Civicforums Junkie

FALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of light
im running 32% 'all-around' on my sedan
Old 07-21-2003
I Queef > You

sKwiD is on a distinguished road
Yeah, California has some dumb laws... Absolutely no tint on the front windows. So all you see here are cars with rear windows tinted... Well, you can have the fronts tinted, but it has to be so light that there's really no purpose...
Old 07-21-2003

poor jaysun will become famous soon enoughpoor jaysun will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by IronFist
White2K2EX, I don't mean tinted windows makes your car harder to detect. I meant it makes your radar detector less effective because it has to pick up the cop's signal through a tinted window.

IronFist
Your radar detector should be pointing out the front windshield and it shouldn't affect your radar detector function.
It is illegal to tint the bottom portion of your front window
In Canada, it is illegal to tint your front driver and passanger side windows
Old 07-21-2003
The Man, Myth and Legend

Location: Western Canada, where the beer is cold and the women are HOT!
ZMan2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Poor Jaysun
Your radar detector should be pointing out the front windshield and it shouldn't affect your radar detector function.
It is illegal to tint the bottom portion of your front window
In Canada, it is illegal to tint your front driver and passanger side windows
Yup, what Jaysun said. Unfortunately, here it is, according to the law, illegal to "have any window film or coverings forward of the drivers' shoulder" on any car. So I went with a limo tint on the rear windows of my car. The cops here will, if you get busted, make you peel the tint right there, and then give you a ticket as well. Sux, so IMO, not worth it. Check out my member's ride, and you decide.
Old 07-21-2003
Registered!!

bluestreak is an unknown quantity at this point
35% legal limit on all side windows and 25% on my rear window and top of windshield, it looks good an no tickets
Old 07-21-2003

GreenNVicious can only hope to improve

Gonna go limo all around, f**k Cali laws. My bro just graduated from med school, so he's working as an eye doctor right now, he's gonna write off my "illegal tint", saying I have severe light sensitivity and it impairs my driving when a lot of sun hits my eyes when im driving. I might get limo all around and very light tint on the front windshield.
Old 07-21-2003
OsOBaNNeD

OsOBooSTeD is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by GreenNVicious

Gonna go limo all around, f**k Cali laws. My bro just graduated from med school, so he's working as an eye doctor right now, he's gonna write off my "illegal tint", saying I have severe light sensitivity and it impairs my driving when a lot of sun hits my eyes when im driving. I might get limo all around and very light tint on the front windshield.

yo its like the greatest tint. . your gonna love it ... IN THE middle of the day people cant even see in if they try'd .... the only problem i have is that at Night i have to roll down my window and look out the side view mirror to back up... other then that ITS GREAT....
Old 07-21-2003
Resident Tough Guy

Sivion is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Hook it up??

Originally posted by GreenNVicious

I live in Cali too, man I wish I had limo tint all the way around. But I already got pulled over for it once in my truck. Think you can get your bro to write me one of these notes too?

Old 07-21-2003
Registered!!

ironcow is on a distinguished road
im got 20% all around, and personally i could have gone darker, its perfect cause at night you cant see in and during the day it really keeps you cool, i hate people looking in espically when i have my screen and ps2 in the car, so i need the security too
Old 07-21-2003

poor jaysun will become famous soon enoughpoor jaysun will become famous soon enough
A medical exemption will not work.
I tried it in Alberta because my girlfriend is extremely sensitive to the sun and they still said no and take it off.
Old 07-21-2003
Permaisuri

plux79 is an unknown quantity at this point
I got a friend who tinted his winshield as well, he tinted 35-25-10-5 all round, and he didnt get any tiket yet....Also he says, all the new bimmer had 35%on their window from factory, not sure thats true or not, but he drives an M3...
Old 07-21-2003

Factor is legal,
Aftermarket is not ... DOESN'T MAKE SENSE
Old 07-21-2003
Resident Tough Guy

Sivion is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Sometimes...

I have a Toyota Tacoma once and I had Limo on the front windows and I got pulled over. I tried something that I heard in traffic school once (it was just brought up there) that if you ask the policman if you can just take off the tint right there, and then explain that you really can't afford to have a ticket right now, some will let you go. Also be sure to explain that you were not told that the tint level was illegal buy the shop that tinted it.

It worked for me that one time, but I am sure it doesn't work all the time. Maybe in certian areas it may work only.