Parts and Products Post new products, talk about parts other than electrical, drivetrain and suspension.

K24 block after swap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BoZ05 is an unknown quantity at this point
K24 block after swap?

Hey, for anyone that has done an engine swap with a K20a2 engine...how much room do you have left under the hood. Can i change the K20a2 block with a K24? I've done research and asked around and the K24 block (destroked to 2.3L...don't ask why, it's part of my plan for an N/A setup) is 3/4" taller than the K20 block? so will it fit under the hood? Thanks for your time and help. BTW please don't bag me cuz i'm a noob...just interested in this question.
Old 07-15-2003
Cracka

xtiszx is an unknown quantity at this point
Thats a good question, i dunno tho
Old 07-15-2003
Registered!!

tiredwolf is an unknown quantity at this point
well i have to clue, but mabye you shoud get in contact with hasport or another big company, they should know more than a couple of guys on the internet
Old 07-15-2003
YES
Banned

YES is an unknown quantity at this point
it'll fit. youll need to modify mounting points (maybe) and some hardware. but fitting it isnt that much of a problem. just chain the damn thing to the frame if need be.
Old 07-15-2003
Registered!!

Hey, thank you 'Yes' for you reply...it helped to reassure me. Heh, since i can't afford to get an RSX-S and pay tha high butt insurance, heh, in the long run, doing this with a civic will be much cheaper. Also, i know this is a little off topic, but i have talked to company that i'm getting these parts from, and they said that the Jackson Racing and Comptech Race headers wont fit because of the different engine bays of the civic and the rsx. So what header WILL fit? Thanks everyone.
Old 07-15-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Instead of dealing with it at all, why not just stroke an RSX motor? Someone already has done it (I think it was Toda or Jun) and they put it up to 2.4L. The motor is already set up for high-rev (extra cooling, piston oil squirters, etc...) and the difference of the K24 and 20 is the stroke (99 vs 86mm)... the K24 has an extra mm bore (87vs86), but if you were going to build the motor, the common .020 overbore would take care of that.
And we know the K20 fits with minimal trouble.
Old 07-15-2003
Registered!!

Skunk2ner is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't know enough about the K24 to make a good judgement, but i do know that the K20a2 is a great engine.
i wouldn't worry about getting the K24 to fit. custom motor mounting isn't that tricky. you might just have to sink the motor mounting points down and inch or two. maybe not, who knows.
Old 07-15-2003
Registered!!

Boilermaker: The reason why i'm going with the K24 block is because of the setup i've read about with an all motor 300 WHP setup from hytech with 200 something lb/ft of tq. (i forget the actual number) this is all N/A btw, so it really appeals to me.
Old 07-15-2003
www.AbsouluteDriven.com

obtix is an unknown quantity at this point
the K20 and K24 are the same HP and same motor... Just ones is a 2.0 and the other a 2.4 the K24 does have more tourque thats about it. You can get the same power out of the K20 really if I were you get the JDM K20a (220hp)
Old 07-15-2003
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bellz has a spectacular aura aboutBellz has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by YES
...just chain the damn thing to the frame if need be.
Originally posted by BoZ05
Hey, thank you 'Yes' for you reply...it helped to reassure me.
ROFL!
Am I the only one that thought that was funny as hell? I don't think BoZ05 meant it sarcastically, but it sure hit me that way!

Last edited by Bellz; 07-15-2003 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-15-2003
Registered!!

whitevic is an unknown quantity at this point
hytech's engine kit for a k20a2 is making almost 300 whp in the k20 (consisting of rods, pistions, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, cams, ecu reflash..), not k24, they have a whole different setup for that last i checked. toda has a stroker kit for the k20, it's just not out yet....imo i'd rather go that route....the k24 block is 19 mm taller than the k20 block, so yeah, it'll fit.
Old 07-15-2003
Registered!!

dragoon is an unknown quantity at this point
hasport is in the process of making the k24 fit in 7thgens. they said the mounts should be out hopefully by the end of summer.
Old 07-15-2003
Registered!!

Whitevic: The kit the comes with the items that you mentioned makes 265 WHP not the 300 WHP. The 300 comes from the items that you wrote, but with the block and crank (stroked) and their custom Carillo Rods. Here are the links to their threads on clubrsx.com. The first one is the dyno of the 265 WHP kit and the second is about their 2.3L kit.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?threadid=80879

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread...5&pagenumber=1
Old 07-15-2003
Registered!!

not to start anything, cause that isn't my purpose, but i said almost...granted that's a 35 whp difference....but when you go from a stock k20a2 to that, i think that word almost does a good job of describing....
Old 07-15-2003
Registered!!

Whitevic: Hey, sorry, I guess I misunderstood what you wrote. So you're saying that you'd rather use the toda stroker (when it comes out) with hytech's first kit (the 265 WHP) inplace of the k24? And that doesn't sound bad at all...i guess my only problem now is to find a replacement header to replace the one in the kit. I emailed john at hytech and they said that their header wont fit, nor would the JR or Comptech racer headers.
Old 07-16-2003
Registered!!

i guess it's my turn to not understand. but, i'm curious as to why none of these headers would fit? we are talking about using the k20 head with the k24 block right? i guess the only reason i could come up with would be that they'd be hitting the firewall, and or the sway bar but, i thought dc sports already had a header for the k24, which is a two piece if i remember right, so theoritically, you could mix in match, wouldn't look pretty, but would get the job done, with probably some good results........i would rather use the toda stroker, mainly cause i already have the toda engine kit....i don't want to have to change things up so much....but, if i didn't already have that, then i would get the entire hytech kit, it's insane.....just dling the vid of that rsx made me stop.....my lord....listening to that car.....those numbers throughout the power band.....!!!
Old 07-16-2003
Registered!!

I have no clue as to why the headers wont work, i'll post up the two emails i sent to john at hytech in the morning, i'm way to tired right about now plus my comp feels as if it wants to run extra slow tonight. OHHH YEEAH. That hytech rsx doing 120 in that vid was sick.

I'm still really confused on how do tha swap, i've searched and most of tha threads say, "get the complete engine w/ tranny, motor mounts, axles." But when i looked at the swap that hondawerx did, they listed a whole crap load of stuff like subframe...custom a/c line hasport, radiator...etc etc...this would be my first swap so i guess i was naive and thought all this stuff just came with one of the engines on ebay? (with the exception of the axles and motor mounts of course...)
Old 07-16-2003
Registered!!

yeah, unfortunately everything sometime does not come with the swap. you will need a new radiator, whether it be from the si, or rsx, if you use the rsx, you'll have to make custom brackets for it. but if you did go that route, you could use the rsx overflow bottle, along with the rsx fans as well. it's all on how you want to work it. you will have to have a new a/c line made, that is a must if you want to have a/c. i strongly recommend if you want to have p/s as well, to get a cf hood, or else you'll be cutting into your oe hood...as far as the subframe goes, yes you'll need it, and yes it bolts right up! motor mounts, if you want to get it in there, go with the hasport kit. if you want a clean look, get the rsx mounts, and mount supports. sorry to everyone who has the hasport kit, not saying anything to be mean, i just don't think it has the "it's suppose to be there" look...

Last edited by whitevic; 07-16-2003 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-16-2003
Registered!!

Thanks a lot whitevic, cleared up numerous questions. Heh, i guess tha only thing left to carry out my plan is to come up with nearly 15,000. And for all of those people that think i'm crazy to spend that much into a car instead of just buying a higher performance car to begin with...well, just think about pulling up to a load of domestics...they see a little civic 4-banger and they think that they're gonna wax you...and in tha end my lil hytech civic's tha vicor...

ANYWAYS... here are the emails i've had with John at hytech.

Me: "Hey Hytech, I had this question on my mind that i hope you can answer. If I had a Civic EX and did a K20a2 engine swap, would i still be able to apply your 2.3L kit to the civic even thought the engine bays differ? thank you for your time."

John: "It will require a different header to make the kit fit. Also make sure that the taller block will fit under the hood. It is about 3/4 of and inch taller than the K20 block.
-John"

Me: "John, you said that i would need a different header to make it fit, could this be as simple as using a Jackson Racing or Comptech race header? Granted i would lose some HP due to less air flow and the ECU was tuned to your header. Or would i need to have one custom made somehow?"

John: "No, they would not fit because of the engine bays are different that the RSX's
-John"

Me: "John, can you be a little more specific as to why the headers wont fit inside the engine bay? is it because it'll come into close contact with the firewall or...what?"

and i haven't received a response after that yet.
Old 07-16-2003
Registered!!

Hey, i guess i left this part out last night cuz i was tired, but how is tha toda package working for you? i've heard that the spec A's weren't all that great and going by way of ITR Cams, reflash, and all that ITR stuff produced pretty close results with far less money...i think it was maybe 4-8 WHP difference in favor of Toda.
Old 07-16-2003
Registered!!

yeah, that's about right as far as whp difference.....but, i can say that i have raced an rsx-s here, with the itr cams, k20a reflash, exhaust, sri and i was able to pull on him by a car. so can't really say for sure either way....to me, it was more of a great learning tool on how to install valve springs, ti retainers, piston to valve clearance, cams, ect...cause i hadn't done anything like that before...but, shifting at 9000 rpms is very nice, i must say......
Old 07-17-2003
Registered!!

briang is an unknown quantity at this point
The K24 engine will fit under the hood. The problem is that if you intend to use the Hasport Kit to do it, then you will need to wait for the new passenger side mount.

The only issue we ran into was the JR supercharger hit the under hood webbing and the JR header hit the subframe. The header hit because the JR header has gentler bends and come out in a more direct path that the stock header.

Do not stroke a K20 engine unless you don't plan on driving it for very long. It would kill the cylinder walls in short order.

brian g
Old 07-17-2003
Registered!!

the header hit the subframe? wow, i wouldn't of thought that...for sure the sway bar, but i guess i was looking at it backwards.....i see the light now......
Old 07-18-2003
Registered!!

Dang, that sucks, so i'm guess that'd be similar with most race headers? cuz i'm still researching for one that'd fit but still have a lot of air flow to compensate for the improved performance of the kit. Hmm, is there any way to modify the subframe for one to fit...sorry, i dono if that's even possible considering that i dono what a subframe looks like and the only thing i know about it is that it's supposed to support the engine in the bay...?
Old 07-18-2003
Registered!!

vicracer is an unknown quantity at this point
what u needfor swap

you need the rsx subframe,rsx mounts all, rsx shiftlinkage, rsx axles, gsr axles 1994+,rsx ecu,rsx radiator and radiator hoses. This is all the info i have to do the swap as i have been doing the research on the swap as well and how to combine the cr-v block in with it. some companies will tell you different so gather what you feel you need like hasport used i believe all the rsx suspension but you dont neccesarily have to go that route. I know some of us wouldn't want our cars a five lug but then some would. From my knowledge import builders in Cali was one of the first to do the swap if not the first on H-town ride and they gave me alot of info so if you need more info you might want to contact them as well. Anyway the best of luck with everyone that will be trying to pull off the k20 swap cause i most definatetly will
Old 07-18-2003
Registered!!

so you need rsx axles and '94+ gsr axles?...yeh, i don't feel the need to go 5-lug if the only difference is that they have more wheel options so doing a complete rsx suspension conversion isn't how i'd do it (plus i'd just get even more confused when buying suspension products anyways...heh...having a hybrid and trying to buy parts...confuses on which page to look on...the rsx page, or the civic). Anyways. tho i do like H-town's ride, i don't really like to use that as an example for me to follow considering his was one of the first and a lot of custom fabrications were used. Also, i've been lookin at hondaautomotiveparts.com for oem parts and i just get confused as to where and what to get...like the axles...i'm guess it's the "drive shaft" but there's so many parts listed that i just get confused. heh, oh well.

on a side note...for anyone that cares or doens't believe me...give me two solid years of saving...then i'll post up my ride with a k20a2 swap with hytech n/a kit...well...that is if i have any money left over fora digi cam cuz i don't have one. BTW, whitevic, i looked your gallery and i really like your swap (very clean with rsx mounts i'm assuming) and the back seats matched with the tenzos.

Last edited by BoZ05; 07-18-2003 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07-18-2003
Registered!!

Thank you very much BoZ05, and yes, they are rsx mounts. as for the gsr axles, you can use them, or you can get a set of 02 si axles. they're a direct fit also.....