Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here.

Do I need new rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rhvic is an unknown quantity at this point
Do I need new rotors?

I have a 2008 Civic DX, 1.8 litre, automatic. I have about 56,000 km, (yup, low mileage!) mostly city driving.

A shop tells me my front brakepads are down to 2-3mm, and need replacing. They tell me it is also best to replace the rotors at the same time, claiming that they could machine them, but the price for replacements is about the same. If machined, they would be thinner yet and more prone to warping, hence replacing is best.

Is it reasonable to need to replace rotors at 56,000 km? I called several shops, and they all claimed that newer cars have thin rotors made of poorer steel than older cars, hence replace them every time pads get replaced.

By the way, I got quotes (from national repair chains) for front pads, rotors, brake fluid flush and power steering fluid flush at around $580 CAD including tax, but of course Honda wanted close to $900 for the same work. Ouch.
Old 03-28-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,201 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Do I need new rotors?

measure the rotor thickness first
Old 03-28-2018
Registered!!

rogerscivic is an unknown quantity at this point

thats seems high for brakes and power steering flush at honda? you could try on your own to repair it the members here can help you and there are videos online that can illustrate someone on almost any repaire imaginable the level of difficulty i would say on a scale of 1-10 is about a 5 repairing front brakes that is if your comfortable at making the attempt. flushing power steering fluid i have never done - so but, i think that should not be a big task neither.
Old 03-28-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,129 Likes on 943 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

I don't have a brake lathe at home, nor do I want to have my car apart all day while I wait to get the rotors machined.

New rotors are about the same price, maybe a little higher than getting the old ones machined. However if they're all choked up with rust or the person doing the machining doesn't do it properly, then it's a waste of time. Plus new ones won't be warped out of the box unless you buy super cheap ones.

If it was me I'd just get new rotors unless I knew for sure the rotors were in really good shape.

What shop is going to do the work? Hopefully one that doesn't start with a "M"
Old 03-28-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rhvic
Is it reasonable to need to replace rotors at 56,000 km?
Curse you metric system!!! so about 35k Miles!

Yes it is reasonable especially for someone who does city driving. Person who brakes heavy and let’s say delivers pizza could go through a set in half that time. A lot of wear depends on driving habits/style.

I always buy new rotors because of the price of them nowadays. Machining them down seemed like it was more cost effective back in the day.
Old 03-28-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,149 Likes on 803 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

psh, here at $35/rotor (albeit, off the car), it's still more cost effective to resurface rotors if they're still within spec.

Unless you're my little brother and brake hard AF when booking it at 120mph because you see a cop and create a lip big enough that I have to grind down said lip in order to get the calipers off..
Old 03-28-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Many factors go into a decision on replacement.

Reality: There is no need to resurface nor replace rotors if they are still serviceable. There are published guidelines you can follow

NEED? Not without just cause.
Really, there's a lot of meat that can be machined before they get too thin to legally use.
If they are measured as too thin, then BY LAW they MUST be replaced.

Rust? Definite replacement consideration if the rust is deep in the friction surfaces. (If minor now, will they last through another set of pads before the rust worms eat the friction surfaces up?)

Warpage? Does it vibrate while braking from highway speed? (Seems like Civics have fewer issues than some other models) I'd resurface as long as it's possible to do so safely.

In our shop it's company policy that we resurface rotors when possible with every brake job. This is included in our competitively priced brake job....
Replacement rotors make that price go much higher.
Old 03-29-2018
Registered!!

Pleased to report back that the shop doing the work (yes, it is a national chain that does start with an M) said I did not need rotors; they were fine. So the total for new front pads, brake flush and power steering flush was under $390 CAD, tax included. Hopefully good now for another 10 years (at the rate I drive, 5-6000km/yr).
Old 03-29-2018
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rhvic
Pleased to report back that the shop doing the work (yes, it is a national chain that does start with an M) said I did not need rotors; they were fine. So the total for new front pads, brake flush and power steering flush was under $390 CAD, tax included. Hopefully good now for another 10 years (at the rate I drive, 5-6000km/yr).

Just out of curiousity what brand of Brake Pads did they put on.?
Old 03-31-2018
Registered!!

brags, they are QE brakes pads from NAPA
Old 03-31-2018
Registered!!

mhammond1127 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have never had my rotors machined or “turned” as they call it. Just because it does make them slightly thinner. I usually replace mine every 8 months or so. But the easiest way to tell is if your brake pads are wearing unevenly or if you brake and you can feel the wheel shake. A lot of times you can do it just by taking the tire off and feeling of the rotor, if you can feel it’s uneven I would replace them. I don’t usually trust the “turning” idea but that’s just my personal preference yes it’s cheaper and can prevent you from buying new ones frequently but generally I just replace them every 8 months along with pads, I do it all as one job saves me some time. Newer cars the rotors sort of last longer but older ones rotors tend to not last as long as they did when the car was new and that’s just general aging of the car. Your rotors can save you money from having to replace brakes way to often. Just feel of them or measure them to determine if you need new ones. The Honda dealer should be able to tell you the size they should be compared to what you measured them at. Or they do for me.