Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here.

ABS/Brake light

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DSSuperStar is an unknown quantity at this point
ABS/Brake light

When I bought my sons 07 civic, the abs light was on. I bought an obd2 reader that reads abs codes and it showed abs code 24-17, left rear abs sensor. I replaced the sensor and cleared the code. That code has not come nack.

Now the abs and brake lights are on. It is showing abs 71-33, wrong size tire code. The car came with 195/65/16 tires. The door jamb says 205/55/16. This is a 4.4% difference. Is this beyond the abs tire size difference threshhold? I believe my other sons G35 (was mine) is 1%. What is the max difference an 07 civic will accept?

TIA
Old 08-26-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ABS/Brake light

Now the abs and brake lights are on. It is showing abs 71-33, wrong size tire code.
Did this new code occur immediately after replacing the bad sensor?
Was the sensor from Honda?
Does it have an aftermarket wheel bearing installed?

Does it have one odd size tire installed?
Do all 4 tires match and are properly inflated? (an upsize doesn't matter so much but all 4 have to match)
(the exact code should tell which tire it sees as wrong, but my charts don't include 71-33)
Old 08-26-2017
Registered!!

Did this new code occur immediately after replacing the bad sensor? Within a mile of driving.
Was the sensor from Honda?No. Beck/Arnley
Does it have an aftermarket wheel bearing installed?It is a used car, so I don't know.

Does it have one odd size tire installed?No
Do all 4 tires match and are properly inflated? (an upsize doesn't matter so much but all 4 have to match) All same brand, size and all same psi
(the exact code should tell which tire it sees as wrong, but my charts don't include 71-33) The obd2 reader states, "Right front or left rear different size tyre malfunction."
Old 08-26-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Within a mile....so whatever is causing it was already there before you replaced the sensor? Or a flaky sensor...

Logic says this 'wrong size tire' code means the ABS/VSA control unit is counting a number of pulses from one wheel that are not consistent with the other 3 wheels, for SOME reason.

Can your scanner display live data? Individual wheel speeds? Watching that data while you drive in a straight line would probably tell you which one is the odd man out.
Then you can set about figuring out why.

For laughs can you swap the two rear wheel speed sensors(and drive it) just to see if the fault code changes location?
If so, that would indicate the sensor itself is the culprit...and that you should get a genuine Honda sensor.
Old 09-01-2017
Registered!!

So, I changed the motor mount and torque strut mount. I took it for a test drive and found out my obd2 reader does indeed do real time. It is saying that both rear wheels are going 5 mph faster at 30 mph than the front. Above 30 mph, the reader disconnects from the ecu. Almost like the ecu is keeping it from reading. That being said, it is reading both rear wheels as turning faster than the front. It is used and I can see faint writing on the plastic coil over plug covers. Almost like this is a second motor. It says 96 on it. Were the sensors different from 96-97? How hard is it to replace the tone ring?
Old 09-01-2017
Registered!!

Yes, I verified all tires are the same size. I unscientifically measured them with a tape measure too. None of them are excessively worn.
Old 09-01-2017

Above 30 mph, the reader disconnects from the ecu. Almost like the ecu is keeping it from reading.
ABS quits communications above a certain speed in many of Hondas cars, that part is normal.

The Honda scanner actually displays a message stating this condition prior to allowing you to access that module.

It is used and I can see faint writing on the plastic coil over plug covers. Almost like this is a second motor. It says 96 on it. Were the sensors different from 96-97?
I thought this thread was about a 2007 car?

Not sure why an engine replacement would ever affect the ABS system.
If there is any question about the engine or trans not being original, the original units had VIN plates that match the rest of the VIN tags on the car.

It is saying that both rear wheels are going 5 mph faster at 30 mph than the front.
Which ABS wheel speed readings do not match the speedometer display on the dash?
Old 09-02-2017
Registered!!

Sorry about writing 96, I meant 07. I used to have a 97 hatch and must have been reminiscing.
I am not sure which wheels match the speedometer. I will have to drive it again and report back. My son was watching the obd2 and I doubt he remembers.
Old 09-02-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

maybe the sensor is not aligned correctly to read the pulse wheel teeth?
Old 09-02-2017

This uses a magnetic encoder ring embedded in the dust seal of the wheel bearing.

The encoder ring is susceptible to damage from other magnets (during handling prior to installation), and aftermarket bearings have been found with problems caused by magnets that were weaker than stock.

I'm sure encoder rings with an incorrect number of N/S elements are entirely possible too, I'm thinking something like this may be the issue.
Old 09-02-2017
Registered!!

It might be possible, but weird that both fronts are reading the same speed and both rears are reading the same speed. However, the front speeds are 5 mph slower than the rear.
Old 09-23-2017
Registered!!

I finally had a chance to see which wheels match the speedometer. The front wheel speeds match the speedometer. The rears are both reading faster than the front.
Old 09-23-2017

Triple check tire sizes.....

Might be worth trying a set of original rear hubs from a u-pull yard?
Old 09-29-2017
Registered!!

Thank you for all the help. I ended up buying Timken hubs/bearings from Rockauto. I put one on the right rear to test. I took it for a drive a 3 wheels read the same speed. Replaced the left rear and took it for a test drive. Now all 4 read the same speed and the abs and brake lights are no longer lighting up over 35 mph.

So, Timken hubs are a good replacement (the bearings are labeled Made in Japan). I used a Beck/Arnley sensor on the left rear and that works as well.

Now I need to change the front rotors/pads as the left front is on the wear sensor. They are already ordered, but won't arrive until Monday.

Without your help, I would have thrown way more money at it.
Old 09-29-2017

I'd guess that someone replaced the rear hub/bearings with the absolute cheapest replacements they could find.

Cheap is of no value in this case.
Old 08-27-2018
Registered!!

Dabz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys, i’m currently using Honda Civic FD2 2007 (i live in Indonesia). Few years ago we start to see occasional/intermittent VSA warning light indicator and when i got it scanned in dealership it tells code 71-28 “Left-front and Left-rear Different Diameter Tyre Malfunction”

last year i need to replace both rear bearing and try to save some money by using aftermarket bearing. Problem start to happen right after the replacement. ABS and VSA indicator always light up until i replace the left rear bearing to original (from Honda dealer) bearing in Jan 2018. After that the ABS indicator problem solved but the VSA indicator still occassionally light up.

i come accross this thread and want to do troubleshooting by reading the live tire speed reading, what kind of equipment is needed? I have bluetooth OBD2 and using Torque App but there’s no tire speed data available. It also unable to read the VSA code..
Old 08-27-2018

Originally Posted by Dabz
Hi Guys, i’m currently using Honda Civic FD2 2007 (i live in Indonesia). Few years ago we start to see occasional/intermittent VSA warning light indicator and when i got it scanned in dealership it tells code 71-28 “Left-front and Left-rear Different Diameter Tyre Malfunction”

last year i need to replace both rear bearing and try to save some money by using aftermarket bearing. Problem start to happen right after the replacement. ABS and VSA indicator always light up until i replace the left rear bearing to original (from Honda dealer) bearing in Jan 2018. After that the ABS indicator problem solved but the VSA indicator still occassionally light up.

i come accross this thread and want to do troubleshooting by reading the live tire speed reading, what kind of equipment is needed? I have bluetooth OBD2 and using Torque App but there’s no tire speed data available. It also unable to read the VSA code..
Whomever scanned it and gave you the ABS fault codes will also be able to read VSA codes. (they are the same system)

You installed two non-Honda bearings, got fault codes. then replaced only one bearing with Honda part?
Replace other aftermarket bearing with Honda part?

Old 08-27-2018
Registered!!

Dabz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Whomever scanned it and gave you the ABS fault codes will also be able to read VSA codes. (they are the same system)

You installed two non-Honda bearings, got fault codes. then replaced only one bearing with Honda part?
Replace other aftermarket bearing with Honda part?
The one who read it is honda dealership, i’m trying to find alternatives shop that less crowded and less expensive but the dealership will still remain as my last option.

yup i have only replaced one aftermarket (left-rear) while the right-rear is still using the aftermarket bearing. What makes me doubt is the fault code is only mentioning left side (front and rear) diameter different so i wonder he right-rear bearing somehow performing OK?

When a scanner device able to read fault codes, will it 100% able to read live data such as individual tire speed?
Old 08-27-2018

It could be something completely unrelated to bearings.

If you can get real fault codes, you might not need live data.