Rear Control arms, rear tire wear early models the early models had an issue with the rear control arms (upper) and have a tendency of rapid rear tire wear

tire wear, noise, TSB 13-047, tire suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pjw73nh is an unknown quantity at this point
tire wear, noise, TSB 13-047, tire suggestion

I have a question regarding tires, tire noise and TSB 13-047.

I have a 2007 Civic Ex. auto. We bought it with 36k, now it has about 108k. Runs beautifully. It came with new tires, and we replaced them with Cooper CS4s at about 75k. We replaced them because the old tires were worn, AND there was a lot of vibration and road noise (which after doing some research, I find is very common for these tires and cars).

The CS4s were ok at first, not totally quiet, but certainly better than the worn ones. We also put a set on a VW that the family owns, and now after 15k miles, THEY are starting to get noisy on that car as well.

In the course of researching the tire noise issue I came across TSB SB-13-047. It mentions the camber of the rear suspension. I have not had the car aligned since I have owned it, but it does seem to be the drivers rear tire that keeps getting this inner, diagonal wear pattern. I plan on getting a 4-way alignment soon. certainly before I replace the tires. The car rides and handles great, its just the road noise and vibration that drives me crazy.

My questions are, does anyone have the full text of the TSB? And/or is the camber issue an adjustment issue that will be resolved with an alignment, or does something need to be replaced?

Also, any recommendation for a decent, long wearing, quiet tire? I am not a performance driver. I just want a decent handling, loner lasting, quiet tire.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.
Old 10-29-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: tire wear, noise, TSB 13-047, tire suggestion

Go to any Honda dealership with the complaint of rear tire odd wear and noisy tread. See if the car can get the updated control arms as part of the update.

www.ControlArmSettlement.com

No copy of the current info, but this looks like the original bulletin prior to the settlement and the current US campaign
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...EaiR3ELZNqnUrw

Tire recommendations, none of the tires listed in the bulletin. I'd spend the money on some good Michelins (and not the cheap ones either).
Get Non-directional tread, and non-asymmetrical tread.
Touring tires, not performance tires.
Tread without any large blocks on the edges.
MXV4, Pilot, Energy, Primacy, maybe Defender. Look up the Michelin tires that were OE on so many other Hondas that had great wear and life..

Check if your car has already had the rear upper control arms replaced, see the pics of brand new arms in this link https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4648427

Last edited by ezone; 10-29-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-29-2013
Registered!!

Ezone, thanks a million for a ton of great info.

By taking it to the dealer, will they do the work, or do I have to have THEM (or another place) do the work, then submit my case to the class action?

Thanks again for the great info.
Old 10-29-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

By taking it to the dealer, will they do the work,
The dealer must inspect the car.

Some things we are supposed to look for include
VIN report and status, and eligibility of each car,
the arms themselves,
tire wear (or written proof that tires have been wearing with noise, chop, diagonal wear, inner edge wear, vibration, etc.)
correct size tires and wheels, correct suspension (or Honda Genuine accessory wheels, tires, and suspension)
abuse
racing
physical damage
etc.

They replace the arms if allowable.
They perform the wheel alignment after the arms are installed.

This much is covered by the warranty extension. No cost to you (as far as I know).

-----------------------------------------

The dealer is the place to get the work done.
This is not any emergency. You aren't stranded out on the highway needing the closest repair facility ASAP.

----------------------------------------------

Some of the cars got the arms done while under the original factory warranty period. There is nothing else that will be done for those cars (AFAIK).

-------------------------

If you already have the updated arms and paid to have them replaced as an out-of-warranty repair, and if you have replaced tires because of this issue:

From the current service info:
Customers who paid to have the rear upper arms
replaced or replaced tires because of premature wear
can request reimbursement from American Honda in
accordance with the Class Notice. Claims for
reimbursement cannot be processed at
dealerships.

Refer customers seeking information about settlement
benefits to www.ControlArmSettlement.com

------------------------------

To add to the tire opinions in my earlier reply:

Once you get good tires on it, rotate them religiously.

The updated control arms only reduce the tendency to chop tires, they can't eliminate it.

Regular tire rotations and quality tires with a good tread design should lessen the chances of further chop.
(Almost any tire can develop choppy tread if ignored and neglected long enough, and it's not the cars' fault in that case. Front wheel drive cars tend to chop the rear tires when tire services are neglected.)

HTH
Old 10-29-2013
Registered!!

Ezone, Once again, thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed response. Can you tell me (or point me to) some more information for the extended warranty?

My car is an 07 with 108K on it. Would it still be covered under the "extended" warranty? I have a good dealer 1/2 mile away so I can take it to them for a look-see.

FWIW, The tires on there now are Cooper CS4s. And at least one of the back ones is very badly chopped diagonally (Like the ones I took off at 75k).

Old 10-29-2013

Originally Posted by pjw73nh
Can you tell me (or point me to) some more information for the extended warranty?
Go directly to your Honda dealer.
Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

The notice of the warranty extension would have been mailed to you by Honda about the middle of this year IF they have your current owners information/address.

(Just one more GOOD reason to let them know your whereabouts!)

My car is an 07 with 108K on it. Would it still be covered under the "extended" warranty? I have a good dealer 1/2 mile away so I can take it to them for a look-see.
Your dealer is the one who determines this, as stated above.
Step #1 is to check eligibility by the VIN inquiry.

There is no mileage stipulation listed in the info.

This warranty extension will end soon, so hurry. It was only supposed to be valid for about 6 months as part of the settlement, and a good part of that has already passed.

FWIW, The tires on there now are Cooper CS4s. And at least one of the back ones is very badly chopped diagonally (Like the ones I took off at 75k).
That would be good enough evidence for me-- IMO.

If you have records of your previous tire replacements, you may be able to request a reimbursement as previously mentioned.
The dealer may try to sell you 2 or 4 new tires too, that purchase would still be subject to the reimbursement guidelines listed on the settlement website.

DISCLAIMER: I have no idea what is allowed as far as reimbursements, or how many tires might possibly reimburse you for.
(This is way out of my normal work area, this info may not be accurate. I just turn the wrenches here. I don't deal with the tires during this job at all, I only replace the arms and align it as per the info. )

Refer to the website for more accurate information or call 888-888-3082.

YW. HTH
Old 11-03-2013
Registered!!

Ezone, once again, thanks for all your help and insight. As I mentioned I have a very good Honda dealer close by. I stopped my Friday to check on the situation. They said that yes, there is a replacement procedure for the control arms on certain vehicles, but there was also a 6 month window. The service writer couldn't find the exact dates. She had me bring the car in the next morning to check it out. They did the control arms and alignment without batting an eye. They noted the tread depth and diagonal chopping on the rear tires, and mentioned it on the receipt. She said that I can submit the tires to the class action, and I might be reimbursed for them. Worked out great so far.

Thanks for all the great info.
Old 02-26-2014
Registered!!

speedy25 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm just here following up the same problem I had. The new parts made all the difference.

I wouldnt expect much from the class action suit even after jumping through all the hoops.

-SP
Old 02-26-2014

For anyone that stumbles across this thread, the (US Class Action Settlement) warranty extension period has now officially ended.

All issues are now the customers' responsibility, not Hondas.