Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

ac field coil burned up and no power to new one...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kenro is an unknown quantity at this point
ac field coil burned up and no power to new one...

Hi guys, my ac has correct amount of Freon and the clutch isn't coming on....I put my power probe on the hot wire and it doesn't have a ground signal and when I turn the switch on doesn't get power. Fuse fine and relay turns on. The ground is fine. Also the radiator fan is bad I found. So something happened fried the coil and fan and now no power to new coil.....so I ran a wire from the relay to the coil w a and had AC....for about 45 seconds and Freon started spraying from somewhere....stopped when I switched off.
Someone please explain the circuit and principle to me.....there is a switch on the high pressure with 3 wires but what are the wires and how does it work? Is there a purge valve somewhere ..
Someone please help before I design a timer for the clutch that makes it cycle on and off every 30 seconds or something that probably won't work....is there a clog, or a computer issue or I need this HP switch to be doing something?
Could the problem simply be the hi Pres switch bad? What are function of each wire on that switch there are 3 wires. Everything was working fine and I decided to put a fan on front of condenser bc it's tx and it helped in traffic. I simply put a relay that triggered off the original condenser fan to keep current down but the original condenser fan burned out anyway. I've read the field coils burn out w the clutch so is prob separate issue from fan. I put new clutch on and relay goes but no power to the clutch...does go to relay then hi Pres switch then clutch or something?
Old 07-31-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ac field coil burned up and no power to new one...

What year is the car?

Don't touch the pressure sensor, you can ruin the PCM in a heartbeat.
Old 07-31-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kenro is an unknown quantity at this point

It's 2006. Thx for that....ibe been learning the hard way. Initially when hot wiring the clutch I just did inline and noticed the cooling fan not working and then when I hotwired the fan the engine shut off. Why is all that stuff connected to the pcm seems over stupid ..so I cut the wire and hotwired clutch and as posted it went 45 sec and the relief valve opened. I noticed it has the thermal switch on side so I see alot of ppl tieing those wires to bypass it...
Old 07-31-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

High so I cut the wire and hotwired clutch and as posted it went 45 sec and the relief valve opened.
pressure relief valve opened because you were running the compressor without the radiator fans. What happened can be expected because you shouldn't do that. Now the system may be low.
I noticed it has the thermal switch on side so I see alot of ppl tieing those wires to bypass it...
Check it with an ohm meter. Should have continuity. If it is open circuit that will cause the AC system to be inop.

Clutch coil should measure around roughly 3-4 ohms cold
If one of the radiator fan motors is bad, it may have blown the associated fuse.
Old 07-31-2018

Originally Posted by ezone
If one of the radiator fan motors is bad, it may have blown the associated fuse.
Same for the fuse that covers the clutch circuit