Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Can someone please help me with my civic

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BigRed34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Can someone please help me with my civic

So anytime I'm idling and my fan comes on the RPMs drop to roughly five to six hundred RPMs and anytime I put the window up as well when I idle it also drops to the same RPMs as when the fan kicks on. What could it possibly be? Is it my idle air control valve?
Old 05-05-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Can someone please help me with my civic

Get the alternator (ouput voltage) and battery checked at Autozone or other parts store. Both can be tested without removing either one. Here's a related read (Nissan): http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/gen...g-bad-yes.html

Last edited by Wankenstein; 05-05-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-05-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Year/Make/Model/Engine/Trans?

Idle rpm can dip when a large electrical load occurs. Idle speed should recover and stabilize right away though, as long as the load is stable and steady.

Maybe idle relearn could help
Old 05-08-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BigRed34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BigRed34
So anytime I'm idling and my fan comes on the RPMs drop to roughly five to six hundred RPMs and anytime I put the window up as well when I idle it also drops to the same RPMs as when the fan kicks on. What could it possibly be? Is it my idle air control valve?
Originally Posted by ezone
Year/Make/Model/Engine/Trans?

Idle rpm can dip when a large electrical load occurs. Idle speed should recover and stabilize right away though, as long as the load is stable and steady.

Maybe idle relearn could help
it's a 2010 Honda Civic LX. It also does it when I put the windows up
Old 05-08-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigRed34
it's a 2010 Honda Civic LX. It also does it when I put the windows up
There is no idle air control valve. The car has electric throttle.

YES sudden heavy (high amperage) electrical loads can cause the engine RPM to dip briefly and lights to dim.
Pulling on the window switches will make the headlights dim a little bit, that's normal.

AC and radiator fans kicking on will make the headlights dim briefly (but engine RPM should stay pretty steady as the ac compressor and fans cycle repeatedy).

If you try to clean the throttle body you could bring on more problems than you started with.

IMO about all you can do is confirm no other problems causing low RPM (No fault codes? Air filter box lid not installed correctly? Air filter gasket not rolled off the edge?), then try an idle relearn procedure.

OR maybe what you notice is normal for the car and not a problem at all....?
Most people don't drive around pulling on the window switches all day long. Just at the end of their drive.