Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Cleaning Oil Soaked Engine Bay

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xJDx is an unknown quantity at this point
Cleaning Oil Soaked Engine Bay

Hello Everbody,

Pulled into a gas station this morning on my way to work and noticed smoke coming from my engine bay. Turns out my oil fill cap broke clean off. Not just came loose, actually broke. There were threads from the cap still in place. I blame the jolts from all of the death trap pot holes NY has been riddled with this winter. My Civic sounds and runs fine, although I hope small pieces of the oil cap didn't fall into the crankcase.

Needless to say, my entire engine bay is covered in about 2-3 quarts of oil. My biggest concern is the oil on the alternator and serpentine belt. They are both pretty well coated. Any advice on how to clean them up? Or are they headed to an early grave?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-21-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,128 Likes on 942 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Cleaning Oil Soaked Engine Bay

Make sure you get your oil topped back up as soon as you can if you haven't already. New cap should be less than $20. I would just replace the belts they're pretty cheap. And then soak the whole engine bay in some good degreaser, dont get any of the important electronic bits wet
Old 03-21-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xJDx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Colin42
Make sure you get your oil topped back up as soon as you can if you haven't already. New cap should be less than $20. I would just replace the belts they're pretty cheap. And then soak the whole engine bay in some good degreaser, dont get any of the important electronic bits wet
I crossed my fingers and limped the car from the gas station to my job (less than two miles). Later had my girlfriend buy a few quarts of oil and a new cap at Advance. She dropped it off at my job and I topped it off there in the parking lot on my lunch break.

Ok, so I'll look into replacing the belt. Car is nearing 100k miles anyways, wouldn't hurt to begin with. Still confused about the alternator, it's really doused in oil since it's close to the fill cap. Is it safe to degrease as well? It's pretty new, so I'd rather not replace it if I don't need to.
Old 03-22-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,128 Likes on 942 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

On my car I wouldn't afraid to hit it with the degreaser, bit of a scrub, and then rinse with a hose. Rinse the entire engine bay with a hose, no pressure washers, high pressure will definitely cause problems. Do so at your own risk, but I've never had a problem with the half dozen cars I've done
Old 03-22-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't be scared. Let degreaser do its job, rinse with garden hose

Too much water pressure can force water past the weather resistant connector seals