Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Steering Column Loose

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vicxblood is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Steering Column Loose

Honda Civic 2012 when i push in on steering wheel the column drops down and becomes loose only way i get it to sit tight is lifting it up and hooking it up on these teeth but all i need to do is push in toward the steering wheel and it drops again, and if i pull towards me after being off the hooks the column drops even further. then theres these 2 metal brackets that fit in the where the hooks are but dont seem to see where they fit in or what they actually do they also seem like they have been cut off from somewhere...... how do i tighten my steering column please see video and ask as many questions needed to help me thank you
Old 01-20-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Steering Column Loose

It's designed to separate the column and steering wheel away from those brackets when the drivers body weight lands against the steering wheel during a crash (breakaway and collapsible steering column)

Why yours broke away I have no idea (crash or impact event?), and I have never had one broken apart to attempt any sort of reassembly.

You might want to go to a salvage yard and get a complete (undamaged) steering column to replace yours. Make sure to swap your column lock from old to new too.