Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Way to much oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Livtcraft is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Way to much oil

I purchased a used 2015 Honda Civic lx 1.8 from a nissian dealership. A week after owning the vehicle I decided to do a oil change to be safe. I’m glad I did, they over fill the oil by a gallon. I don’t know how long the vehicle was used with a gallon of excess oil. But I know I put about 300 miles on it with the excess oil in it. When I changed the oil it was pissing from the oil filter, could there have been damage done to my vehicle?

Thanks
New civic owner.
Old 11-06-2017
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Way to much oil

Originally Posted by Livtcraft
I purchased a used 2015 Honda Civic lx 1.8 from a nissian dealership. A week after owning the vehicle I decided to do a oil change to be safe. I’m glad I did, they over fill the oil by a gallon. I don’t know how long the vehicle was used with a gallon of excess oil. But I know I put about 300 miles on it with the excess oil in it. When I changed the oil it was pissing from the oil filter, could there have been damage done to my vehicle?

Thanks
New civic owner.

Welcome to the forum..!

a few Questiones for You... You mention that you drove it for 300 miles how did the car drive? did You
hear any engine noises like Lifter noise etc. ? did you ever see the oil Light on the dash come on?
any blue smoke coming out the back.?
Old 11-06-2017
Registered!!

It drove fine, no noises or lights/alarms. I would have never known if it didn’t look at the oil level.
Old 11-06-2017
Registered!!

Oh yea I didn’t not drive it knowing it had a extra gallon in it. Lol
Old 11-06-2017
Registered!!

Oh yea I didn’t not drive it knowing it had a extra gallon in it. Lol
Thanks I’ll listen to anyone’s comments or advise. I’m just really hoping nothing is wrong with the engine.
Old 11-06-2017
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

You should of gone back to the dealer not only would they have had to dump the extra oil out but they would be on the hook for any future damage. I would of told them to document it in there files and asked for a copy. for now anyways it don't sound like any engine damage has happened but I would keep an eye on it. especially for engine oil Leakes overfilling is hard on gaskets

any manufactures warranty Left on it?
Old 11-06-2017
Registered!!

Just powertrain.
Old 11-06-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,201 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

what would worry me would be the rubber seals. like the main seal between the engine and trans.

it would affect the clutch
Old 11-06-2017
Registered!!

It’s a cvt tranny, if that makes a difference.
Old 11-06-2017
Registered!!

What should I be looking for? If there is any damage caused by the dealers neglect what would be some signs and how long until I notice?
Old 11-06-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Just check the oil level on a regular basis.

Occasionally, or if the oil seems to be disappearing, slide under the engine compartment and check for obvious leaks.
Old 11-06-2017
Registered!!

Thanks!!
👍🏻👍🏻
Old 11-07-2017
Registered!!

Could my main seal have been blown or damaged? Freinds of mine said that with a extra gallon of oil that i could have blown my real main seal.

Last edited by Livtcraft; 11-07-2017 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 11-07-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Could my main seal have been blown or damaged? Freinds of mine said that with a extra gallon of oil that i could have blown my real main seal.
it is possible to blown any oil gasket or seal with too much oil, including the main, too much oil means too much pressure inside your engine, kind of like over inflating a tire,

too much oil would not affect your clutch or tranny in any way
Old 11-07-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Did any of those friends explain to you what would be happening if it were actually blown? What you would notice/see/hear/feel/smell?

There's a whole bunch of "could be" but there isn't anything proven wrong until something is proven wrong.

Read my reply a few more times:

Originally Posted by ezone
Just check the oil level on a regular basis.

Occasionally, or if the oil seems to be disappearing, slide under the engine compartment and check for obvious leaks.