Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2007 Civic Fuel System Rich

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
igw425 is an unknown quantity at this point
2007 Civic Fuel System Rich

I have a 2007 Civic EX with 80k miles that is only getting about 18-19 mpg. I drive it in a very conservative manner. I have changed the spark plugs (replaced with OEM plugs), air filter, and the upstream o2 sensor. No codes are being thrown.

At Idle:
ST Fuel Trim: -5.5
LT Fuel Trim: -13.3
Mass Air Flow: ~2 g/s

I have held it at 1500 and 2500 rpms as well, I don't see any improvement in the fuel trim. It drives fine and feels normal, but it uses a lot more fuel than it used to. I used to get around 350-400 miles to a tank, now it seems like my gas light is on by the time I get to 200.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 10-24-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: 2007 Civic Fuel System Rich

What did the old spark plugs look like when you replaced them? Notice any caked-on, dark soot buildup?
Dark smoke with fuel smell coming from the tailpipe at startup, hard acceleration, hard deceleration or otherwise?

Have you checked for spark quality?
Checked compression?

Do a power balance (rpm's drop) test. With engine running slowly lift each coil one at a time. When coil first "pops" off plug hold it in place and listen and feel for a strong (quality) spark. Afterwards keep lifting slowly and listen for the rpm's to drop..idle drop is normal. If, rpm's don't drop in that particular cylinder then there's an issue. Also, rpm's should drop similarly/comparatively in all four cylinders.
Old 10-24-2017
Registered!!

I haven't done a compression test. The old plugs were in pretty good condition for being 10 years old, not much build up. I put the new plug in about two months ago, I pulled the and checked to make sure that they weren't getting fouled up, and all four still look great. There hasn't been any smoke coming from the tail pipe, and i haven't noticed any strong odors of fuel or anything else for that matter.

I will have to do the power balance test this week, to see if I find any issues there.

When I am driving down the road, the car seems like it is running 100% normal, but it is just using fuel at a much higher rate.
Old 10-24-2017

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by igw425
When I am driving down the road, the car seems like it is running 100% normal, but it is just using fuel at a much higher rate.
Keep tires properly inflated?
Rotate and balance tires every 4k miles or so?

Clogged catalytic converter can cause poor fuel economy but, at 80k miles doesn't seem that would be an issue. Though, can't be ruled out either.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 10-24-2017 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-24-2017
Registered!!

Tires are in good shape, get them rotated and balanced on a fairly regular schedule ~4k miles +/-. I check them fairly often and keep them at 32 psi.
Old 10-24-2017

Tires are in good shape, get them rotated and balanced on a fairly regular schedule ~4k miles +/-. I check them fairly often and keep them at 32 psi.
Leaking fuel injectors (into the cylinders) can cause poor gas mileage and a rich condition.
Old 10-24-2017
Registered!!

If I had leaking fuel injectors wouldn't I have hard starts?
Old 10-24-2017

If I had leaking fuel injectors wouldn't I have hard starts?
Here's a list of symptoms: https://www.injectorrx.com/fuel-injector-symptoms/