Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Civic 2012 LX

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amir SH is an unknown quantity at this point
Civic 2012 LX

Hey everyone,
Recently I got a used Honda civic lx 2012 and its functioning well so far.
I've realized some issues in my Civic that I've decided to ask for help:

1-
The unit of the amount of fuel consumption on my car is not in mpg, it's on l/km (something like that...).
My question is that, the current number written beside that unit is 9.6! Isn't that large amount?
I believed civics have great fuel consumption economy. Does anyone know if its usual or it's odd to have this number?

2-
I usually drive the car in the city, more specifically around 45 km/h. Now the other issue is that underneath that fuel consumption, we have the range available for the car. This range is reducing so fast in my car. I would say each minute it decreases by one!! Is that usual or even, does it work properly or I may need to check it at a Honda dealership?

3-
My last issue is about cruise control system. I think mine doesn't work at all. Once on a freeway, I was on 57 km/h, and I put it on the cruise and took my foot off the accelerator; and I realized it's started to reduce smoothly, 56, 55, 54...
Regarding the fact that I've checked and the cruise sign was turned on, on my monitor, do I have to take it somewhere for a check?

I would like to get answers for these problems,
Thanks, everyone.
Old 07-11-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Civic 2012 LX

First, read your owners manual. It has many answers to questions.

Display for fuel economy in Canada is probably metric, no other choice. (seems like I looked this up in the last couple weeks for someone else)

Fuel economy calculation starts over when trip meter is reset to zero.
Each trip meter (A or B) is accompanied by its own fuel economy calculation on the display.
Trip meter A can be set to automatically reset with fuel tank refill.
Trip meter B might only be reset manually. (I'm thinking of a 2012 USA car, see your owners manual)

Is 9.6 km/L bad? Sounds like in-town stop and go. Probably typical.

Fuel economy display recalculates and updates regularly and constantly, several seconds between updates, economy display is an average of the accumulated distance displayed on the trip meter. (trip A or trip B)
As you progress through the tank of fuel, the changes displayed will appear to slow down as the distance increases (average change slows).

Sitting still with engine running (traffic, stop lights, drive thru) is still burning fuel results in zero economy, that is included in the average displayed.

Stop and go traffic drastically lowers fuel economy.

Extremely steady speed 70-90 KMH on a highway for a long distance will likely net your best fuel economy. Reset a trip meter on the road, and see how high you can get it to go.

Range (distance to empty) displayed tends to be optimistic IMO, and it also recalculates as you drive and your economy is recalculated. Yes in general it constantly decreases as you travel and your fuel is consumed.
It will tell you you can't go very far when the tank is nearly empty.
It will tell you you can go a long way after you refill the tank.

Cruise control: see owners manual.
Dash has two lights. One main light to show the system is turned on, and another to indicate the cruise is in use. Were both illuminated?