Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

08 A/C and Electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GreenEnvy22 is an unknown quantity at this point
08 A/C and Electrical issue

Hi all,
I see there are many dozens of A/C issues here, but I didn't find one quite like mine.

I bought an 08 DX-G (Manual) in March with 117,000km on it. The seller said the A/C didn't work well.

I've found it doesn't work at all actually. Yesterday I decided to take a look and try and find the issue. When I hit the A/C switch, the indicator light does come on. however the fan never starts up, and the compressor never engages.

I first tried swapping out the relays under the hood with other ones, but it didn't make a difference. I hooked up a voltmeter to the connector to the fan and wasn't seeing any voltage.

After poking around a bit I noticed a connector on top of the alternator was unplugged. It's 3-wire and the wire runs down to the compressor.

I plugged that in, and now I was seeing 14V at the fan connector. Plugged the fan back in, and it started spinning. Still no compressor spinning though.

Then I noticed that the fan kept running even once the A/C switch on the dash was turned off, it just always runs when that connector is hooked up. I'm guessing the previous owner disconnected this wire because the fan was running constantly. In poking around, I've noticed if I wiggle that connector or the wires on either side of it at all, the fan shuts off. I can hear the relay click when this happens as well. It seems Like there may be some short in it. Wiggle it a bit more and it comes back on again. Photo of the connector attached.

I hooked up a pressure gauge to the low side valve for the refrigerant, and it's way up in the red, over pressured. I'm not sure if this is just because the compressors not spinning or if it's a sign of another failure.

Any thoughts on what I can check next? I'll replace that wiring harness if I can't find any obvious shorts when I pull back the wrap.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CivicACharness.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	458.0 KB
ID:	89953  
Old 06-30-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 08 A/C and Electrical issue

It's 3-wire and the wire runs down to the compressor.

I plugged that in,

Still no compressor spinning though.
Leave this connected....make sure you have it wiggled good enough to make the fans run while you check this:
Test (backprobe) the center wire, see if it has 12v+. Center wire runs the clutch field coil.
Post the status.

I've noticed if I wiggle that connector or the wires on either side of it at all, the fan shuts off.
If it was left unplugged and exposed to weather, corrosion could be complicating things, poor contact can be a huge problem.

the fan kept running even once the A/C switch on the dash was turned off, it just always runs when that connector is hooked up
This COULD indicate a failed HVAC control panel. (AC request stuck on all the time)

and it's way up in the red, over pressured. I'm not sure if this is just because the compressors not spinning or if it's a sign of another failure.
Compressor MUST be running. Ignore pressures for now.