Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

ATF question

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
El Polloso is an unknown quantity at this point
ATF question

Hello, I have a 2012 civic coupe with the 5 spd AT. Has approx 60K and I figure it would be a good idea to change the trans filter and fluid. I found on rock auto some fluid called AISIN ATFDW1 that is $4.48 a quart. This is significantly cheaper than 8-10 bucks especially when i plan to drain and refill 3x. Is this a acceptable fluid to use? It does say formulated for DW1 applications. I have read a lot on this subject and see a consensus on the DW1 from the dealer. Thanks for any useful advise
Old 06-12-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ATF question

Can you afford a trans replacement if it's not the right fluid and it causes damage?
You'll be our guinea pig!

Can you find Idemetsu brand ?

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...pics/3365924/1
Old 06-13-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by El Polloso
I found on rock auto some fluid called AISIN ATFDW1 that is $4.48 a quart. This is significantly cheaper than 8-10 bucks
you get what you pay for.....

is saving a few dollars really worth the risk to you?

for me the answer would be no
Old 06-13-2017
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

in New Jersey if You buy a bottle of Genuine HONDA transmission fluid and

Look down on the bottom it will read "manufactured for Honda by IDEMETSU"

sometimes You gotta be a little bit of a detective to look for these things.

I would have No Worries using the IDEMETSU brand.
Old 06-14-2017
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by brags
in New Jersey if You buy a bottle of Genuine HONDA transmission fluid and

Look down on the bottom it will read "manufactured for Honda by IDEMETSU"

sometimes You gotta be a little bit of a detective to look for these things.

I would have No Worries using the IDEMETSU brand.
even though it is made by the same company, the aftermarket fluid would not be the exact same quality as the stuff in the OEM bottle, there would be tighter quality control and restrictions on the OEM stuff, honda would make sure of that,

lets take a company like Aisin just as an example, they make OEM parts for many japanese car manufacturers including honda,

lets say you go buy an OEM water pump for your civic, then you go and buy the exact same part aftermarket from Aisin, the OEM one is going to be better quality, even though its made by the same company
Old 06-14-2017
Registered!!

Just curious. After all its just a civic, not a GTR. Seems odd that any slight variation of fluid could have catastrophic results.
Old 06-14-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Seems odd that any slight variation of fluid could have catastrophic results.
It's not odd at all.
Welcome to this century.
Fluids are application engineered now.
Hondas automatic transmissions are designed like no other on the road, and they require a very specific fluid for the transmissions they designed.

The days of pouring either "Type F" or "Dexron" into any transmission in America are long gone.
Wait, no, too many people think it's still that simple.

After all its just a civic, not a GTR.
You seem to think one car is less worthy of specific fluid needs than another?

Is this a acceptable fluid to use? It does say formulated for DW1 applications.
What do you think?
Old 06-14-2017

IDEMETSU is the same trans oil that's in the Honda bottle get on the idemetsu

sight they make the oem fluid for Honda and warranty it. reason why Honda

fluid is more $ is not because its any better its because of Licencing costs

that's it.
Old 06-14-2017
Registered!!

Easy there girlfriend, just asking questions. I understand todays ATF's are lubricants, friction modifiers, and detergents all at the same time. I understand the importance of the proper fluid as I have built a few automatics from a few different manufactures, I am an amateur.
And yes the units in GTR and other supercars are slightly more sophisticated and have more demanding needs of their fluids than Honda units, forgive my blasphemy.
Thank you Brags for your response

Last edited by El Polloso; 06-14-2017 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-14-2017

https://www.transtar1.com/products/f...da-Z-1-M465HZ1
Old 06-14-2017

Z1 is obsolete and not to be used in any 2011 and newer cars

ATF DW-1 is the factory fill for all ’11 Honda models.

DO NOT use ATF-Z1 in any ’11 and newer models.
Old 06-15-2017
Registered!!

I understand the importance of the proper fluid as I have built a few automatics from a few different manufactures

if you understood it, then you would know the reasons why its important to use the OEM fluid, but it doesn't sound to me like you really do,

at the end of the day its your car, and your call......you are free to put motor oil in there if you want
Old 06-15-2017
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

And yes the units in GTR and other supercars are slightly more sophisticated and have more demanding needs of their fluids than Honda units, forgive my blasphemy.
Not any more demanding than the transmissions used in over the road semi tractors. Those units handle much heavier loaded weight with much higher applied torque. Does the fact that semi's have a harder life mean that you can skimp on the fluid in your GTR. Its not like your average GTR will be treated to as hard a life as a semi truck.

Using a comparison such as you have on the GTR-honda is an act of stupidity.
Design requirements of 1 unit have absolutely no bearing on any other unit.
I am married to an oils scientist, it is what she does for a living. She isn't going to tell you to buy a generic oil and use it because it is good enough.

Now lets look at this for a completely logical viewpoint with 3 drain and fill at 2.75 qts per service.

9 qts of generic@$4.48=$40.32
9 qts of DW1@$8.18 (which is current MSRP)=$73.62

So you want to save $33.30 by using an oil that may or may not meet spec because you believe it will be "good enough" since it isn't like it is being used in a weekend supercar. Personally I drive an accord that has the cleanest trans fluid you will ever see in any 6th gen accord. It is the exact same color as what is in the bottle. I change my ATF more often than my oil and it only gets Honda ATF.
Old 06-15-2017
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

I run 90W gear lube,and sawdust mix in my Honda 5ATs.

DW1 is overrated !
Old 06-15-2017

Originally Posted by CraigW
and sawdust mix
What variety exactly? Maple? Oak? Pine? Hedge?

I hear Hedge is one helluva friction modifier
Old 06-15-2017
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

^^^Sorry, trade secret.

You folks think Honda parts are off the charts.... should price some Toyota parts.
Old 06-15-2017
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CraigW
^^^Sorry, trade secret.

You folks think Honda parts are off the charts.... should price some Toyota parts.
Honda pricing is actually quite reasonable in many cases. Compare the price of a key or TPMS sensor to any other company. Some parts are obviously inflated, but MSRP generally isn't too crazy. And if you can buy at cost +10% the prices are amazing. I think the lower ball joints for my car were $18 each when I got them 2 years ago from honda.

I love when people start threads like this one. Complaining about $8 per quart oil. The ATF 3.1 required in the new models with the ZF sourced 9 speed auto is around $50 per quart. Haven't seen a price on the even newer oil spec'd for the 2 weeks on the market 10 speed auto yet. Some people will always try to cheap out and save money.
Old 06-15-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mcnoople
Some people will always try to cheap out and save money.
and they end up learning the hard way....

the cheapest option now, will probably be the most expensive one in the long run
Old 06-21-2017
Registered!!

Well thanks for the permission mikey, i wouldent make a move without your infinite wisdom.

Mcnoodle, first of all I was being facetious. The GTR has the dual clutch trans that isnt a hydraulically controlled like the trans we are discussing. I mention it merely because it is on the opposite end of the spectrum from a civic.

I wound up getting 9 quarts of the factory stuff at cost. Like I said in my thread starter the consensus is the DW-1, I was already planning on getting it anyway. It never was a monetary issue where I couldent afford it or I was trying to be cheap. It was simply a question of WHAT is the aisan. One guy managed to not be a chode and was trying to answer the question, the rest are smug quasi answers from people who probably have never done anything more technical than well, draining and refilling ATF.

Last edited by El Polloso; 06-21-2017 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-25-2017

Originally Posted by mikey1
and they end up learning the hard way....

the cheapest option now, will probably be the most expensive one in the long run
Ahh No...i Know Ron Ananian he's a Profesional New Jersey Technition that has

his own call in talk show he uses IDEMETSU Fluid in his Customers vehicles and

has no worries using it LISTEN mickey1 WHEN HONDA writes on there own Bottles of

"Transmission Fluid " Manufactured for HONDA by IDEMITSU then it really

is Safe to use BY Honda ... Listen 30 minutes into show when Ron Ananian

talks about using IDEMITSU trans fluid. as a O.E.M compatable fluid

http://www.tomrayconsulting.com/car_...m_05132017.mp3

Last edited by brags; 06-25-2017 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-24-2018
Registered!!

trainkarr is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't find the aftermarket fluid much cheaper than OEM. Idemitsu Type-H is $7.99 at Advance Auto vs $8.99/qt or $88.50/case for OEM online.
Old 03-25-2018

Originally Posted by trainkarr
I can't find the aftermarket fluid much cheaper than OEM. Idemitsu Type-H is $7.99 at Advance Auto vs $8.99/qt or $88.50/case for OEM online.
If the OEM is $$cheaper than go with it.