Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Broken spring(s) in driver's seat-- how to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bluescreen is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Broken spring(s) in driver's seat-- how to fix?

Hi Everyone.

First post here. I just purchased a used 2014 Civic EX and it is fantastic. (This is my 2nd Civic, and I like this car even more than my first one.)

I think a spring or two in the driver's seat may be broken. When my body shifts in the seat, I can hear an audible popping and clicking sound behind my back and can feel the springs adjusting. I've watched a few videos about how to remove the seat from the vehicle, but does anyone have any ideas about how I would go about opening up the seat to repair or replace the broken spring(s)?

Thanks for your help!

Sagar
Old 06-06-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Broken spring(s) in driver's seat-- how to fix?

You can probably open up the seatback cover without a lot of hassle and inspect inside the seat, maybe you can figure out what pops

I went looking for pics of the zippers up the back cover and ran across this, it should be similar

http://www.crzforum.com/forum/do-you...tallation.html
Old 06-08-2017
Registered!!

Thanks for the tip! I checked out the seat today and the bottom fabric appears to be held down by two elastic bands clipped under the seat. I'm trying to unfasten these plastic clips without breaking them.

Once I do, I should be able to reach those two zippers and remove the back of the seat fabric.

Wish me luck!
Old 06-13-2017
Registered!!

Thumbs up Re: Broken spring(s) in driver's seat-- how to fix?

I just wanted to thank you for your suggestion, ezone. I was able to open up the seat as you described and identified the source of the popping sound. One of the curly metal braces had come slightly out of its fastener. I reset it and everything is perfect now.

So glad I found this forum. Thanks again for your help.
Old 06-13-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bluescreen
I just wanted to thank you for your suggestion, ezone. I was able to open up the seat as you described and identified the source of the popping sound. One of the curly metal braces had come slightly out of its fastener. I reset it and everything is perfect now.

So glad I found this forum. Thanks again for your help.