Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

To full flush trans or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jferristx is an unknown quantity at this point
To full flush trans or not?

I have a 2006 Civic EX Coupe. 196,000 miles on it. Have been doing drain and fill at favorite fluid place about every 30K or so. Just had 3rd gear pressure switch in the AT fail, had it replaced, things appear to be fine so far. I stop at favorite fluid place, ask them to do a full flush (all old out, replace with all new) and they won't. They say they won't guarantee the work, because at that mileage, could "shock" the transmission. (Their words). They recommended a couple of places that would do the work.

So...I know it will start a debate, but, what's the over/under on this one? The fluid is darker and slightly burnt smelling (could be result of switch issue, and I think it would be best to have clean fluid. Doing a drain and replace until it was all replaced will take a while and be expensive compared to just flush it.

Let the battle begin.....

Thanks
Old 01-05-2017
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: To full flush trans or not?

That is standard practice on Honda transmission.

At my shop we do a double drain and fill.

-drop fluid
-add
-run 10 min.
-drop fluid again
-add
-shift through all gears while running
-turn off
-check level.

The forced flush machines can cause honda transmissions to fail 9or so I've been told, I've never tested one to find out, lol).
Old 01-05-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jferristx is an unknown quantity at this point

My shop has a flush machine that runs solely on the Transmissions existing pump, so it's not forced. Don't know how much of a difference that would make.
Old 01-05-2017
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

jferristx

safest way too go about this "with-out harming the transmission" is to
do a drain and fill 4 times. always works with-out a glitch
Old 01-05-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jferristx
I have a 2006 Civic EX Coupe. 196,000 miles on it. Have been doing drain and fill at favorite fluid place about every 30K or so. Just had 3rd gear pressure switch in the AT fail, had it replaced, things appear to be fine so far. I stop at favorite fluid place, ask them to do a full flush (all old out, replace with all new) and they won't. They say they won't guarantee the work, because at that mileage, could "shock" the transmission. (Their words). They recommended a couple of places that would do the work.

So...I know it will start a debate, but, what's the over/under on this one? The fluid is darker and slightly burnt smelling (could be result of switch issue, and I think it would be best to have clean fluid. Doing a drain and replace until it was all replaced will take a while and be expensive compared to just flush it.

Let the battle begin.....

Thanks
The switch goes bad, usually random and very intermittent failure to make contact but works 95% of the rest of the time. Replace it and go on with life. That's not what made the fluid dark anyway.
The other pressure switch may do the same thing at some point too.

Did you remind the favorite fluid place (JizzyLube?) that they have been changing the fluid every 30k up to this point already, it's not like this would be the first ATF service in its life----- and a full 9 or 12 quart service isn't going to do any more harm than a 3 quart service?

If you can change your own oil, you can DIY the trans fluid service.
I'd use Hondas fluid though.