Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Cleaning EGR Valve or PCV valve Question?

Old 12-31-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maverickfhs is an unknown quantity at this point
Cleaning EGR Valve or PCV valve Question?

So wanted to ask a question about cleaning EGR valve and/or PCV valve.

I can see EGR valve in front of the motor and I think PCV is below VTEC solenoid.

Question, should I clean EGR and/or PCV valves? Just as a maintenance item.

I don't have any CEL or anything on the dash.

Will procedure be same as this one?

Thanks for any help or input.
Old 12-31-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cleaning EGR Valve or PCV valve Question?

2006, 1.8L engine?

I've not seen problems with the 8th gens EGR at all here in my little corner of the planet. The 8th gen changed how the EGR system picks up exhaust, it now collects it POST-cat (hence the small metal tube that runs from the bottom of the cat up to the EGR valve) so it's more or less filtered by the cat and there sure seems to be a lot less soot buildup than on earlier versions/models that send pre-cat exhaust to the EGR system.

PCV valve is screwed onto the timing chain cover. I've not really seen issues with that either except for maybe an occasional whistle or buzz.

Personally and in the shop, I wouldn't bother with either unless or until there's a problem.
Don't let me stop you if you want to do it though.
You may want a gasket.
Old 01-01-2017
Registered!!

Thanks EZ, as always. Yeah, it's R18.

I wouldn't bother cleaning it then, was just trying to do it as a maintenance item.

Thanks for your help again.
Old 01-01-2017
Registered!!

On the similar note, as you stated, I haven't seen many threads/videos for 8th gens either.

Many more for 7th gen, so you're absolutely right and now it makes sense, why there aren't many for 8th gen.

Search this Thread