Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

P1009 error code

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
missmiss76541 is an unknown quantity at this point
Codes P1009, and P0101

The mobile mechanic is here, he started it, and no code came up. He was gonna take it for a drive, then it started idling really rough, so he checked the codes again, and both codes came up. ??? 2007 civic Si with vtec.

Last edited by missmiss76541; 02-13-2017 at 03:35 PM. Reason: forgot the car
Old 02-13-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: P1009 error code

Originally Posted by missmiss76541
About not using the vtec? I've had 2 people tell me that...use it or it won't work at all..
Those folks, and I'm sure you can find many more like them, probably aren't well versed in the finer points of the workings of this system
(It's a relatively simple system that operates using mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic principles, along with another electrical system that tells the computer that it actually activated when it was told to activate.)

Maybe they had problems with the system and couldn't figure out how to fix it.

VTEC is not like an unused muscle in your body that atrophies, and it can't curdle like expired milk.

VTEC really has nothing to do with the P1009 code anyway, other than the computer may limit it as a fail-safe. VTC is not the same as VTEC.
So if it's out of time, you can't just re-adjust the timing chain?
You COULD, but that wouldn't address the root cause of the problem: a worn (stretched) timing chain...the only fix for that is replacement of the chain along with any other worn parts in the chain area.

Typically (when I do this job) the chain tensioner is replaced along with the bad timing chain, the chain guides might need replaced on a high mileage engine, and the oil pump drive chain and any of its associated parts that are worn usually go along with replacing the cam timing chain because they both wear and you do not ever want an oil pump drive failure.

But if that's it, then that fixes everything?
If it's found to be out of time, then correcting that problem should restore proper operation of VTC, VTEC, and get rid of the fault codes.
If it's not out of time, then what?
Prove it isn't.
Pull the valve cover off, set up crank/cam on marks as per a service manual, and inspect the mechanical timing.

I have a nickel here that says I'm right.
Old 02-13-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Codes P1009, and P0101

Originally Posted by missmiss76541
The mobile mechanic is here, he started it, and no code came up. He was gonna take it for a drive, then it started idling really rough, so he checked the codes again, and both codes came up. ??? 2007 civic Si with vtec.
Please keep all related posts within this thread.

P0101 is a MAF related code. May have been left unplugged or lid was off of the air filter box while the engine was running. IDK, I wasn't there to see why it happened. Maybe it sucked up a bug or something.

The P1009 code could take a short while before the computer can make a judgement and decide it's not correct, then set the code and turn on the warning light.

Hasn't anyone pulled the valve cover off to inspect timing yet?
Old 02-13-2017
Registered!!

He's gonna do that tomorrow, he had to go finish another car up tonight. Plus it was raining, and the car is in the street. He was gonna research it more tonight. I'll say one thing, I've got more exercise with this damn car...He thinks it's the timing too.
Old 02-14-2017

He was gonna research it more tonight
This forum is usually in the top ten google search results for anything Civic related, so it probably leads him right to this thread LOL
Old 02-14-2017
Registered!!

Plus I sent him a link with all the Honda/Civic relevant codes. He's gonna do this right, he's charging me very little right now, he is on the fence between the VTS solenoid and accompanying sensor, or the timing chain, and he's eliminating the cheap problems first.

It starts after sitting, and sounds normal for about 10 seconds, then you hear it misfire, then more, it backfired today on it's own, just before it shut off. He never got to test drive it today, he'll drive it tomorrow after it sat all night.

When my son does fixit or modify projects, he gets frustrated easily, and I know half-assedness is probable. He will never admit it...but there has been plenty of "It wasn't broke, why'd u fix it, now it's broke"...so I don't know if he did any damage to anything during the tune-up, or brakes, and it's less stressful on all if I don't ask him.
Old 02-14-2017

and he's eliminating the cheap problems first.
Pulling the valve cover off to verify timing costs only some time.
No parts cost involved in checking, and answers the most important question on the first try.

and it's less stressful on all if I don't ask him.
Not revealing ALL pertinent information just makes diagnosis tougher, and drives the prices up accordingly.

Chain wear issues wouldn't be anything he caused though.
Old 02-14-2017

Originally Posted by ezone
Pulling the valve cover off to verify timing costs only some time.
No parts cost involved in checking, and answers the most important question on the first try.
If he doesn't find it jumped time, then he needs to measure for excessive chain stretch (tensoioner rod extension max 13.5mm)