Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

How to remove/replace engine spash shield fasteners?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ken4444 is an unknown quantity at this point
How to remove/replace engine spash shield fasteners?

I was changing the oil in my 2014 Civic sedan last night and noticed that the plastic engine splash shield (under the engine bay) is held on by a series of plastic rivet things. Several were missing and that might explain the noise I hear when driving.

Can these plastic rivets be removed and re-used? Or are they a one-way part? Can I buy them from the local auto parts store, or should I get them from a Honda parts place? Does anyone have a part number?

Also, there is a metal splash shield directly under the engine that was held on with metal screws. How many screws are supposed to be there? I only had 3. Does anyone have a part number for these?

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to remove/replace engine spash shield fasteners?

Pushpins can be reused many times, at least until they are broken. Most of these on the shields will be 10mm diameter.
You can buy from a dealer, buy online, or likely find somewhat suitable cheap replacements from a parts store or bodyshop supply store.

The Civic splash shields metal chunk should be held by 4 6mm screws and speednuts. After the cross (Phillips) is stripped out of the screws I usually replace them with regular bolts because those are much easier to find in the shop.

Catalog link will have all the Honda part numbers you could want:
http://www.hondapartscheap.com/auto-...der-cover-scat

The upper left area shows the under-engine panels

HTH
Old 07-27-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ken4444 is an unknown quantity at this point

That's good information. Thanks very much. Are the push pins removed by pulling out the center part?
Old 07-27-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ken4444
Are the push pins removed by pulling out the center part?
Yes, center pops out first, that allows the 'legs' of the outer part to collapse and come out of the hole.
A couple of small pocket screwdrivers usually works ok.

Check out the first one you remove so you can see how it works.