Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

07 Civic motor mounts (update)

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pcpro215 is an unknown quantity at this point
07 Civic motor mounts (update)

Well, I finally got the motor mount in and it eliminated the noise in reverse!

However, I was unable to get one bolt in. It's the one that mounts the bracket, not the dog bone, to the inner fender well (I know it doesn't mount to the fender, but I don't know what the name is. LOL) In the pic, it's the bracket I have circled and the arrow indicates where the bolt is hiding behind.

Is it safe to drive around this way? The other4 or 5 bolts are in place and snug. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks.
Old 10-30-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 07 Civic motor mounts (update)

Probably need to take it apart, pull the (vertical) bolts out of the bottom part of the bracket/ mount so things can move around..... You may even need to take the vertical bolts out where the mount attached to the frame-- if the others still won't line up.

start the missing bolt first, then start the others, start all the bolts in a given chunk and get them threaded in several turns before fully tightening any of them.

Or if it has the little tab and 10mm bolt that secures the brake lines keeping it from lining up with the hole, that little tab can bend some if needed.
Old 10-31-2015
Registered!!

Thank you for your reply, ezone.

In my haste to get it posted, I neglected to mention that it does START to thread in. I can get it in about 4-5 turns and then it pops back out. It's almost like the threads are stripped. But it came out super easy, so I don't know how that would have happened....

Edit: I ran a tap through the threads 3 or 4 times and got farther in than I did with the bolt. The threads on the bolt are good as I ran a die across those. I also loosened up the two bolts that mount it to the top of the motor mount. It still only goes in a max of 4-5 turns and makes a popping sound and releases grip. I tried taking a pic with my phone to get a better look at it, but I can't get it in there at a good enough angle.

I'm at a loss here....

Last edited by pcpro215; 10-31-2015 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-31-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Check threads on the bolt, see if it will thread easily into something else first.

If bolt is ok, then it sounds like if you really want to get the bolt in there, you may need to remove everything in the way and see if there are enough threads to hold and tighten a regular bolt and get it tight without popping, to evaluate if the threads in the hole are good enough to put torque on.

Or leave it out and eventually figure out why the engineers put it there in the first place?
Old 10-31-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Check threads on the bolt, see if it will thread easily into something else first.

If bolt is ok, then it sounds like if you really want to get the bolt in there, you may need to remove everything in the way and see if there are enough threads to hold and tighten a regular bolt and get it tight without popping, to evaluate if the threads in the hole are good enough to put torque on.

Or leave it out and eventually figure out why the engineers put it there in the first place?
I got a chuckle out of your last suggestion... It kinda seems like the bracket is more for stability than anything else. I hate to find out the hard way if it really is necessary.

I was gonna trying calling the mechanic on Monday and see if they would be willing to try it.
Old 10-31-2015

Originally Posted by pcpro215
the bracket is more for stability than anything else.
It is to keep it stable IMO.

I'd try to fix it.

The big mount is only anchored at the base by 2 other bolts, they don't have a lot of control over sideways forces. The mount is rather tall, and the weight (pressure) of the drivetrain moving sideways can put a lot of force upon the base of that mount, it is trying to 'push over' a tall mount.

The rest of the mount stuff controls fore-aft and up-down forces, but there's not much to control the sideways.
Old 11-01-2015
Registered!!

It is to keep it stable IMO.

I'd try to fix it.

The big mount is only anchored at the base by 2 other bolts, they don't have a lot of control over sideways forces. The mount is rather tall, and the weight (pressure) of the drivetrain moving sideways can put a lot of force upon the base of that mount, it is trying to 'push over' a tall mount.

The rest of the mount stuff controls fore-aft and up-down forces, but there's not much to control the sideways.
I'm going to try running one of the other bolts in there (that will be the third different one I'm going to try). I'm also going to try it with the bottom two bolts on the bracket tight this time. It probably won't work, but what do I have to lose at this point?

I also thought about cutting new threads in there and trying a completely different bolt....

Thanks again for your suggestions. I do appreciate it.
Old 11-01-2015

I'm going to try running one of the other bolts in there (that will be the third different one I'm going to try). I'm also going to try it with the bottom two bolts on the bracket tight this time. It probably won't work, but what do I have to lose at this point?
You only had a problem with one bolt and one hole...... you may end up with more bolts and holes with problems if you aren't careful.
Old 11-01-2015
Registered!!

You only had a problem with one bolt and one hole...... you may end up with more bolts and holes with problems if you aren't careful.
I tried a different, shorter, bolt and I still didn't get it past 3-4 turns. I have no idea what to do anymore.
I'm just going to call the mechanic and see if they can get it for me.

I appreciate your help, ezone!
Old 11-01-2015
Registered!!

I think I finally figured out why I couldn't get the bolt all the way in. I removed the side mount bracket and got a closer look at the hole. It looks like the mounting point behind the frame rail (I'm not sure if that's what it is or not), got shifted a bit and made the holes offset by about 1/4" (a few MM).

I am going to get a shorter, fatter bolt and thread in into the hole I threaded in the frame rail.

How/why it got shifted is beyond me...
Old 11-02-2015
Registered!!

As soon as I ran in the new bolt, it tightened down snugly with no issues whatsoever.

I still don't know how the holes got misaligned.