Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2011 Honda Civic Ex AT

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sdoty1189 is an unknown quantity at this point
2011 Honda Civic Ex AT

Hey everybody, I have an issue that I hope someone can provide clarity for me.

As stated above, I have a 2011 Honda Civic EX Auto Trans I bought from Carmax in March with 46,5xx on it. Currently, I'm sitting at 55,4xx as of November 14.

When going out to start my car before driving to work, it started fine. I noticed the "low tire pressure" indicator was on and made a mental note to take care of that over lunch or this evening. Halfway to work, the check engine light came on as well as the light next to the D was blinking. Regardless of it being in another gear (N, R, P) the light continued to blink at the drive indicator.

Can anyone help me with understanding what it means and what the best course of action is? I really appreciate any insight anyone has. I'd give you the information I've read up regarding this, but I don't want to color any ideas or opinions.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-14-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 2011 Honda Civic Ex AT

5 year/60k powertrain warr.

What happens if you shut it off and restart ??

The codes may be stored and could be read by Honda tech.

Needs to be documented imo.
Old 11-14-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Flashing D light means about the same thing as the check engine light, only it's for transmission related faults instead of engine faults.

5/60 powertrain warranty may or may not cover it depending on what issue is found, but one must figure out what the cause of the problem is before that determination can be made.
SO the first step should be to see your local Honda dealer IMO.

Turn car off, wait 15 seconds, restart the car. Drive it. Does the D light flash again?
If no, then it's an intermittent problem.

The computer should store the fault data for a few drive cycles, but someone needs to retrieve the data ASAP before the computer erases it.

My guess is one of the pressure switches on the trans got stuck temporarily.
Or rodents chewed the wires off of something, they love wires.
Old 11-14-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sdoty1189 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much. I have an appointment as I'm going out of town this weekend for Monday morning. I appreciate the insight, as I know next to nothing about cars.

In response to the first individual's post, when I stopped and restarted it. The D was not blinking but the check engine light was still on. I haven't had the opportunity to check it since 8:30 this morning, so I'll find out more when I leave work.