Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car Shakes at High Speeds

Old 08-06-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amadeux is an unknown quantity at this point
Car Shakes at High Speeds

Hello all,

I'm having issues with my 07 Civic where I start to get vibration from the gas pedal when accelerating (and slight steering wheel shake as well) and I also am having significant shaking coming from the steering wheel when braking at around 65-80mph. It's not very noticeable at speeds below 55mph, if at all. I recently had my passenger front axle replaced at the dealership due to popping noises from doing sharp turns and parallel parking. I performed all 4 wheel balance afterward at a separate garage in the hopes it would fix it. The balance did provide some help, but the issues are still there. Car has 110k miles and I bought cert. used at 58k. Any ideas on what could be the issue(s)?

Last edited by Amadeux; 08-06-2014 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 08-06-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Car Shakes at High Speeds

Shaking while braking can indicate warped rotors or loose caliper bolts.

When were the brakes done last? Did it shake before having the axle replaced?
Old 08-06-2014
Registered!!

Amadeux is an unknown quantity at this point

Honestly I don't remember much of how it was before the axle replacement, but I guess it feels alot more noticeable now than it did before.
Old 08-06-2014
Registered!!

dailycommuter is an unknown quantity at this point

I have exactly to same issue and i am trying very hard to figure it out. If you read the forums you will know that there can be a lot of reasons behind this issue and diagnosing it will take time. I am going to get my tie rod changed this weekend in hopes that it might solve the problem.
Get all the front end components checked.
Old 08-07-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dailycommuter
I have exactly to same issue and i am trying very hard to figure it out. If you read the forums you will know that there can be a lot of reasons behind this issue and diagnosing it will take time. I am going to get my tie rod changed this weekend in hopes that it might solve the problem.
Get all the front end components checked.
If the car is shaking during braking then it is most likely brake related. Wheel balancing and worn suspension components like ball joints, control arm bushings, loose lugs and tie rods can cause a shake or swaying while moving.