Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

ac cold, but turns warm

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
roger t is an unknown quantity at this point
ac cold, but turns warm

09 Civic LX 18K miles. Twice now on 300 plus mile trips, the ac works great the 1st 200 miles, suddenly only warm air & the blower puts out less air. All controls are set at "max". Just prior to losing the cold air, there seems to be a "tinkling" sound coming from the vents...ice maybe ? This kinda reminds me of the "old days" when the evaporator would freeze up. Around town, the ac will freeze you out of the of the car. A bypass relay maybe ? If it is a relay, where is it located ?
Thanks,
Roger
Old 08-01-2014
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice
Re: ac cold, but turns warm

Would definitely check to make sure the unit isn't freezing.
When it happens pull-over and open the hood and see if you can see if there is a lot of condensation on the unit, and if you can see ice anywhere.

I believe the AC stuff is located on the passenger side of the engine, under the power steering fluid and what-not.
Old 08-01-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Evaporator freeze up.
Most common cause is the clutch relay stuck on.
(Rare cause might be evap temp sensor issues, and HVAC control panel issues.)

Same issue will kill the battery overnight.....and cause the system to burp out clouds of freon at stops.

Updated relay available: Ask your Honda parts department for Honda part number 39794-SDA-A05
Old 08-01-2014
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

Just curious e-zone, if my 2006 is NOT having this problem, do you think it'd be wise to replace the relay anyways, just to make sure it doesn't act up down the road?
Old 08-01-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jordan1794
Just curious e-zone, if my 2006 is NOT having this problem, do you think it'd be wise to replace the relay anyways, just to make sure it doesn't act up down the road?
Your choice, I guess.
It's a common issue, and has been for many model years.

Original relay brand is omron?
Updated relay is MITSUBA

The omron relays are dirt cheap and have been used all over many of the cars for all sorts of stuff. The AC clutch seems like the main location that causes issues, although I have seen the occasional sticking relay in other circuits--park lights comes to mind.
Old 08-02-2014
Registered!!

Thanks for all your help. I think I will go ahead & replace the ac clutch relay & see what happens. Last question...which relay in the fuse panel is it ?
Thanks,
Roger
Name:  Civicfusepanel1.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  66.9 KB
Old 08-02-2014

Copied from another post

(Engine compartment fuse and relay box, Left half of the pic) The relay in position #5 is the clutch relay.

The new and improved relay is about $30. The original design is much cheaper.
Updated relay brand is MITSUBA
Updated Honda part number is 39794-SDA-A05

HTH
Old 08-02-2014
Registered!!

Thanks for the info...bet this fixes my problem. No fun driving I-35 at 70mph with the windows down & the temp is 103 degrees.