Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

IMA light 06 HCH

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wllvv is an unknown quantity at this point
IMA light 06 HCH

After about a month and a half of really strange SOC and Charge/Assist gauge behavior my MIL and IMA light lite up just as I put the car in park. I shut the car off for a few minutes, then when I started the car up again the lights were off but my scangauge was showing P0A7F. I drove about 10 miles and just as the SOC bottomed out, the MIL and IMA lite up again. I pulled over and shut the car off for a minute, when I started up again the MIL stayed on for the 50 miles I drove it that night, no IMA lite. The next morning when I started the car the MIL and IMA were off and haven't come back on since. I still have P0A7F and I don't want to clear it and loose the current state of the BCM whatever it might be.
I've been babying the IMA and working as much as I can with the systems in the car to try to keep the IMA condition from getting worse.
After my last dealer service, I doubt I'll ever go back to that dealer again. I may eventually take the car to another dealer, I've been looking around, but so far I'm hesitant to let a dealer hook the car up before I have all the data I can squeeze out of the cars systems.
While I learn just how much of the bragging by the dealer reps is accurate and how much of it was training.
Oh, you can really make my gas gauge read empty using the MVCI? How nice.

Last edited by wllvv; 04-15-2014 at 02:28 PM. Reason: fixed
Old 04-15-2014
Registered!!

Re: Transmission fluid change on a 2002 with 51K miles?

so basically, pcm updates and a new pack?
Does the HDS recover data regarding P0A7F and if yes can the customer get a printout?

Sorry to take this thread off topic, I posted a new thread in
8th and 9th Gen - DIY
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...ht-06-hch.html
Old 04-15-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: IMA light 06 HCH

Quote:
<table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Originally Posted by wllvv

ps: is there any discussion here about HIM MCVI HDS live and freeze data ?

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
What do you want to know?
Quote:
<table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> HCH DTC P0A7F.JAN 2014 </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
P0A7F: IMA battery module deterioration.
It would get the IMA battery replacement as per service information, plus software updates where necessary for compatibility with the newer style IMA battery.
Contact your dealer regarding possible warranty coverage if it is still within the warranty extension period.

FYI we had one customer obtain their own battery from an aftermarket source and had us install it......
We did the math, the prices came out about roughly equal when compared to obtaining and installing a OEM unit through our shop, AND they had to deal with the hassle of shipping the unit themselves.
Old 04-15-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, moved these 2 posts to this new thread, but they didn't go in order due to timestamps. Oops.

Originally Posted by wllvv
so basically, pcm updates and a new pack?
Does the HDS recover data regarding P0A7F and if yes can the customer get a printout?

Sorry to take this thread off topic, I posted a new thread in
8th and 9th Gen - DIY
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...ht-06-hch.html

Battery pack first, then software to match the new pack.

I'm not sure what info you want to obtain. You can get freeze frame data out of the PCM in your scangauge, no?

IDK if you can view the same freeze data a dealer scanner would get though. Your setup might be limited to "generic" data parameters.

You would need more than a scangauge to get info/data from the IMA system.

*I* can send printouts of much data (not all) from my laptops (HDS) directly to our local network printers if I need to. I can't speak for any others.

While I learn just how much of the bragging by the dealer reps is accurate and how much of it was training.
Oh, you can really make my gas gauge read empty using the MVCI? How nice.
Not sure how this is relevant?

Are you aware of what the warranty coverage period is for your IMA battery?
Are you aware that many had the warranty coverage period extended?
information bulletin 12-077 PDF click here
Old 04-16-2014
Registered!!

The car is out of warranty. Yes, I've seen the extended warranty and the car just passed the extension period both in time frame and mileage by several months and a few k miles, it was real close

Thanks for moving the posts an being patient with me as I vent past experiences.
I hope it doesn't ring a bad tone with you, as I'm grateful for your helpful posts, and I've read a lot of them in the past few days.

edit: I must have seen Service Bulletin 12-077 November 17 2012
the new numbers indicate I may still be covered.

If I am still covered and I elect to have the service done at the dealer would there be any way I could tell if I got a new pack or a reconditioned pack? Should I assume the pack and update(s) are a standard package ?

Last edited by wllvv; 04-16-2014 at 12:27 AM. Reason: additions
Old 04-16-2014

edit: I must have seen Service Bulletin 12-077 November 17 2012
the new numbers indicate I may still be covered.

If I am still covered and
Contact your dealership ASAP about this..

DO NOT ERASE THE CODE!
The code MUST be present when it gets to the dealer.

I elect to have the service done at the dealer
That's about the only place to get warranty work done. Would be kinda stupid (IMO) not to have it fixed if it's covered under the warranty.

would there be any way I could tell if I got a new pack or a reconditioned pack?
All replacement packs are reconditioned/remanufactured. There are no brand new battery packs for these cars through Honda AFAIK.

There will probably be a fresh sticker in the drivers door jamb (triangle shape) with the replacement battery type indicated (if your car doesn't already have one). That's your clue the battery got replaced.

And, if it doesn't get replaced, your P0A7F code would come right back. Right?

Should I assume the pack and update(s) are a standard package ?
Here's the usual scenario in our shop:
The relevant software updates that go with the replacement battery -- as per the current service information, yes that is part of the repair.

The PCM may get software updated to match the new IMA software, if that action is needed.

If there are other software updates available for the rest of the control units in the car, I can't answer that one.

Got any outstanding recalls that need to be done?

HTH
Old 04-17-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Contact your dealership ASAP about this..

DO NOT ERASE THE CODE!
The code MUST be present when it gets to the dealer.

That's about the only place to get warranty work done. Would be kinda stupid (IMO) not to have it fixed if it's covered under the warranty.
The car coded january 22 and I haven't erased it yet.
All replacement packs are reconditioned/remanufactured. There are no brand new battery packs for these cars through Honda AFAIK.
That is my understanding so far as well. I've read that Panasonic no longer manufactures the 1.2v NiMH batteries used in the older Honda Hybrids.
There will probably be a fresh sticker in the drivers door jamb (triangle shape) with the replacement battery type indicated (if your car doesn't already have one). That's your clue the battery got replaced.
I have a similar sticker on my trunk lid when it was replaced.
And, if it doesn't get replaced, your P0A7F code would come right back. Right?
That's the thing, I'm not sure. I've been heating the pack before driving for about 2 months and since that first time driving with a preheated pack I no longer get multiple recals in the first 10 miles after cold start and the pack has probably twice or even three times the assist capability.

It's been an interesting 6 months since my last service.
Here's the usual scenario in our shop:
The relevant software updates that go with the replacement battery -- as per the current service information, yes that is part of the repair.

The PCM may get software updated to match the new IMA software, if that action is needed.

If there are other software updates available for the rest of the control units in the car, I can't answer that one.
Does your shop have a fee schedule for this warranty service? I ask because I doubt I could get my dealer to honor the the extended warranty from what I heard the last time I was there.
Got any outstanding recalls that need to be done?
HTH
I've had the recalls serviced for both cars.
Old 04-17-2014

I've been heating the pack before driving
You shouldn't have to do anything special like this to drive the car.
With a good battery pack you would be able to just jump in and go, like any other car.

Does your shop have a fee schedule for this warranty service?
I have no idea what you mean by this.

I ask because I doubt I could get my dealer to honor the the extended warranty from what I heard the last time I was there.
How about if you call the customer assistance hotline (see the owners literature or Hondas website) and see if they can tell you if your car is still covered or not. Have your VIN handy.

If you have concerns or issues with your local dealer, maybe they could steer you to a different dealership near you too.
Old 04-17-2014
Registered!!

You shouldn't have to do anything special like this to drive the car.
With a good battery pack you would be able to just jump in and go, like any other car.
And that's exactly what I did until the normal warranty ran out and the car coded.
I have no idea what you mean by this.
if been comparing estimates and initial hookup fees.
How about if you call the customer assistance hotline (see the owners literature or Hondas website) and see if they can tell you if your car is still covered or not. Have your VIN handy.

If you have concerns or issues with your local dealer, maybe they could steer you to a different dealership near you too.
I'll give this a try. in due course.
Thanks again.
Old 04-17-2014

if been comparing estimates and initial hookup fees.
If the job is covered by factory warranty, you should have zero out of pocket expense.

Some dealers might make sure you are ok with paying the checkout fee in the event that it isn't covered by warranty. SOMEone has to pay for the tech to check it out, right?

JMHO. YMMV.

I'll give this a try. in due course.
Your warranty clock is ticking.....