Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2007 stalls when idling at intersection

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anthonym is an unknown quantity at this point
2007 stalls when idling at intersection

Hi all,
Have a 2007 Honda civic that decided to stop dead on me during my last mile of commute. A red battery light flashed on and I shut the car off and restarted. Worked fine, but every time I stopped at an intersection and it had to idle, it tanked on me and I had to restart again...probably like 5 times.

i just had my car checked out at the honda dealership. They said I needed new brake pads and that my power steering, automatic transmission, and brake fluids were dirty but that it wasn't a priority to get the fluids fixed.

I decided to take the car to a local mechanic who replaced the brake pads at a better rate. 3 days after this the stalling problem happened.

The battery never truly died and I was able to restart at each intersection. My Friend believes its a "idle relearn" problem and I should follow this procedure:
http://flashprotuning.com/blogs/vitv...earn-procedure

Was curious what you all thought. Thanks so much!
Old 07-07-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2007 stalls when idling at intersection

Battery light came on while the engine was still running, BEFORE it died = not charging, or the computer THINKS it is not charging. Or it sees some problem.
See if the alternator is still charging, see if the belt is still intact, see if the tensioner pulleys haven't fallen sideways.

If the battery light was NOT on after you got it restarted, then it is probably something else.
This is not a common problem AFAIK, I wonder if anyones' fingers may have caused this issue.....

We aren't psychic and we can't predict the future.
You had it at a shop 3 days prior to this event.
So what?
Take it to a pro now that it is actually broken.
(You may need a dealer again if this job requires a high powered scanner.)