Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2006 EX Engine Clicking Noise needs new short block?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
artgeek09 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry 2006 EX Engine Clicking Noise needs new short block?!

So we bought this car used not too long ago, and it started making a clicking noise from the engine every now and then. I was told by one mechanic that looked at it that it would most likely just need a valve adjustment. It has 138,2xx miles. Just took in in yesterday to get Honda to look at it, and was told that there was something wrong with the 4th cylinder and that I needed to replace the short block to fix it.

Here's a video I made of the noise:
[autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=1397& transactionid=1366230823-20887234180&posted_by=_www.civicforums.com&youtube _video_id=xNgm8jHvRow[/autostream]

The exact wording on the Honda Service Summary was this:
"CS Engine clicks at times--speed of clicking sound is based on RPMS--sounds like a rattlesnake--happens about 40% of the time and is sometimes louder than others. Was happening this morning--
Performed valve adjustment for noise and after adjustment the noise was still there. Replaced spark plugs and when unplugged #4 cylinder the noise went away.Found noise in #4 cylinder. Found has wrist pin or piston noise. Needs short block to take care of noise - can continue driving car but will need to be easy on car and if gets worse will need short block. Est on short block, chain. chain adj. guides. headset $4259 (15.0) all parts special order). "

Please oh please tell me there's some other way to take care of this. Grad student here and can't afford a $5,000 repair on a car I just bought. Does that price sound reasonable?

Also, how the heck would this problem even happen? We haven't been hard on it in the 8 months we've had it. A manufacture defect? Previous abuse?
Old 04-17-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2006 EX Engine Clicking Noise needs new short block?!

You bought a used car. It is a machine. Machines don't last forever.

I can't tell you what the noise is from where I sit. It doesn't sound heavy though.
You can briefly unplug the coil on #4 to (attempt to) verify the findings of the shop.

Second opinions can be invaluable.
Opinions/diagnosis by a knowledgeable, trusted professional is even better.

Used engines should be far cheaper than a new block. Get one from a late 09 or newer car so you get the improved block.
I'm surprised the dealer didn't offer this option.
Old 04-17-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
artgeek09 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
You bought a used car. It is a machine. Machines don't last forever.

I can't tell you what the noise is from where I sit. It doesn't sound heavy though.
You can briefly unplug the coil on #4 to (attempt to) verify the findings of the shop.

Second opinions can be invaluable.
Opinions/diagnosis by a knowledgeable, trusted professional is even better.

Used engines should be far cheaper than a new block. Get one from a late 09 or newer car so you get the improved block.
I'm surprised the dealer didn't offer this option.
Thanks for your response. Sorry if I sounded really defensive in the first post. I'm no mechanical genius. I understand things wear down, I'm just disappointed to deal with this problem in a newer car.

Especially thankful for your advice on possibly replacing with a newer engine. What would a reasonable cost be for an '09 EX engine with under 120,000 miles on it? If it means anything, the car does have a manual transmission. VIN number starts with the number 2 and last 4 digits are 1290.

Again, I'm not mechanically inclined at all and don't speak "car" very well.

And just for giggles, it wouldn't be possible to put an Si engine in there would it? sometimes I do wish for a little more "get up and go" factor
Old 04-17-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by artgeek09
I'm just disappointed to deal with this problem in a newer car.
It's not a "newer car" anymore. It's about 8 years old and over 100k. And you don't know the previous history of it.....Like any used car, there is a reason someone got rid of it.

I know, I know, it SHOULD have lasted a lot longer than this. Most do. I'd like to know what the noise really is first.
Especially thankful for your advice on possibly replacing with a newer engine. What would a reasonable cost be for an '09 EX engine with under 120,000 miles on it?
If you aren't going to DIY this, then let the shop source the engine so they can worry about warranty.

www.car-part.com

Under $1500 if YOU are buying it.
Add a pile for shipping.
Look for 2010 or 2011 model years.

You still have to get it installed. $$$$
And there will be incidentals to go with the engine swap. $$$$
Most reputable shops will want to use their own sources for engines, not yours. Let them.

Ignore the prices you saw if you have a shop do it.
If it means anything, the car does have a manual transmission. VIN number starts with the number 2 and last 4 digits are 1290.
Your numbers are irrelevant.
An engine can be converted for manual trans easy enough. You will need a new pilot bushing from a dealer to go in the end of the crank.

And.....once the engine job is complete, the computer needs to have a "CKP RELEARN" done by a dealer. You can have mysterious false misfire codes come up if you don't, and nobody else will know what to do about it.

Again, I'm not mechanically inclined at all and don't speak "car" very well.
I'm all technical when it comes to cars. Sorry.
And just for giggles, it wouldn't be possible to put an Si engine in there would it? sometimes I do wish for a little more "get up and go" factor
Just go buy an SI --- unless you have way too much money laying around. Yes, it can be done though.