Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Timing belt problem honda civic lx 2004

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AngeloS can only hope to improve
Timing belt problem honda civic lx 2004

First and foremost, I do not know much about cars, and my car is a honda civic 2004 sedan. My car broke down during the winter storm last friday and just abruptly shut off in the middle of the street. It was towed to the nearest autoshop, and when inspected a couple days later, several mechanics said it was a timing belt problem. HOWEVER, my father replaced the timing belt via a dealership about 2 years ago and they have records of it on their computer. The dealership stated that although they replaced the belt, they may have not replaced the tensioner of the belt and that we would still need to pay. Additionally, my father is telling me that it is better off getting a new car instead, as the repair and labor is worth more than the car itself. What should i do? A friend from pep boys said that i may want to look into buying a new engine online for cheap, and that pep boys would repair for far less. Please help! I do not know what to do and i greatly miss my car
Old 02-16-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Timing belt problem honda civic lx 2004

First, figure out what is actually wrong with the car.

That means no opinions or guesses.

A trusted professional may be of more value than the nearest hole-in-the-wall shop, even if it means a tow bill.

Once you KNOW what is wrong.....and what it will take to fix said problem,
Then see what it will cost to correct the problem.
And possible alternatives to effect repair and a driveable car.

Then consider what another car will cost.
Also consider that you will know absolutely nothing about the history or possible problems that will come when buying an unknown car.

ALL cars that are for sale are for sale for a reason. Those reasons may or may not be apparent at first glance. You ALWAYS risk buying someone elses' headache.

You should already have a good idea of what all was wrong with your car before this.

If you want to get rid of a non-running car, its value won't be any more than scrap weight value at any salvage yard.

HTH