Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

CD Player Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicboi_ is an unknown quantity at this point
CD Player Problem

Hi guys, I'm new here. I have a 07 Civic EX Coupe.

Basically, I've had a CD in the player for several months as I never bothered to take it out. I usually use the Aux anyways and the car is driven maybe 10k km a year.

Now, I hear a "spinning type of noise" from the player as soon as I put the disc in or when I have the volume at 0. However, I don't notice anything when the volume is loud.

I've tried a lens cleaning cd, but that didn't help.

Anyone know what the problem might be?

Thank you!
Old 05-03-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CD Player Problem

If the CD player works, then assume it is normal.
Old 05-03-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If the CD player does not work, then assume it is broken.
Old 05-03-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
If the CD player does not work, then assume it is broken.
It's not "broken" but there is something wrong. I compared putting a cd into our sedan and the coupe, there is a difference.
Old 05-04-2012

It's not "broken"

So, it plays music normally then?

Many CD players make whir and chatter noises as the disc spins up to speed and the mechanism reads the info on the disc.

I'd figure that if it plays normally then it isn't broke very bad.
Is yours normal? I can't tell from here.
Do you want to pay to have it sent out for repairs?
Make sure your discs don't have stick-on labels. It gets expensive when the label peels off inside the player.

but there is something wrong. I compared putting a cd into our sedan and the coupe, there is a difference.

Do both cars have identical radios?
Both cars 07 EX?
Old 05-04-2012
Registered!!

Cool_Man is an unknown quantity at this point

it is normal for the slot loading type disc player to behave that way, you should not keep the disc in there for an extended period of time, once the disc is inserted the drive mechanism clamped the disc down to a spindle to spin up the disc and the laser lens start reading the info, if the disc is inside for a long period and when you remove the disc, the mechanism inside may not extend fully back ( the springs onside is very weak much smaller as compared to the typical springs inside the ball pen), so the next time when you insert the disc it may make a rubbing sound as it spin. If you want to see the rubbing area, put in a brand new blank disc (up side down), it will spin up for awhile may or may eject the disc since it could not read or you may have to eject it manually and take a look at the disc, there should be some circle marking there indicating the rubbing area. Depend on where the marking is you maybe able to fix it yourself without taking the head unit apart.
Old 05-06-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
It's not "broken"

So, it plays music normally then?

Many CD players make whir and chatter noises as the disc spins up to speed and the mechanism reads the info on the disc.

I'd figure that if it plays normally then it isn't broke very bad.
Is yours normal? I can't tell from here.
Do you want to pay to have it sent out for repairs?
Make sure your discs don't have stick-on labels. It gets expensive when the label peels off inside the player.

but there is something wrong. I compared putting a cd into our sedan and the coupe, there is a difference.

Do both cars have identical radios?
Both cars 07 EX?
Hey both cars are the same with the same audio systems. I know something is off, but just not sure what it is. I tried doing everything under my control like a can of air and cd lens cleaner, but still can't put my finger on the problem.
Old 05-06-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Cool_Man
it is normal for the slot loading type disc player to behave that way, you should not keep the disc in there for an extended period of time, once the disc is inserted the drive mechanism clamped the disc down to a spindle to spin up the disc and the laser lens start reading the info, if the disc is inside for a long period and when you remove the disc, the mechanism inside may not extend fully back ( the springs onside is very weak much smaller as compared to the typical springs inside the ball pen), so the next time when you insert the disc it may make a rubbing sound as it spin. If you want to see the rubbing area, put in a brand new blank disc (up side down), it will spin up for awhile may or may eject the disc since it could not read or you may have to eject it manually and take a look at the disc, there should be some circle marking there indicating the rubbing area. Depend on where the marking is you maybe able to fix it yourself without taking the head unit apart.
Okay I will try this and follow up with your advice! Thank you