Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2006 LX needs help

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FNG2012 is an unknown quantity at this point
2006 LX needs help

Guys I need some advice, I just picked up a 2006 LX, auto trans, with 130k. The previous owner did NOTHING but oil changes. I mean not one bit of service, just oil changes. Can you all help me, and tell me a list of things that I should do to this car in order of priority?
Old 03-04-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2006 LX needs help

I would think the trans is pretty important.
Change the trans fluid.
Drain and fill with 3 quarts of DW-1 from Honda. Do not let anyone use a machine to flush it.
Do it again real soon. (I would do it with every oil change for a while.) You can read on how Honda says to do a flush on the trans. http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/...-official.html (Note this procedure was published prior to the release of the DW-1 fluid.)

Look in the owners manual for the rest of the maintenance items recommended.
Filters and fluids (brake and coolant), the rest is inspecting and fix or service as needed.
Old 03-04-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

e-zone on that site it mentioned draining,running,then draining several more times.
From the posts I get that they think you should drain,drive, then re-peat 3 or 4 times(seems to be some disagreement).
What are your thoughts?Is a drain run,then re-drain(x3) needed or is one drain and refill good enough for the typical driver with 60k miles and no transmission fluid change yet?

Last edited by jordan1794; 03-04-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-04-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

We (at the shop) recommend every 30k, regardless of the driver or recommendations otherwise. Hondas transmissions have had a lousy track record for many years, and some of us feel that any little bit of extra service helps prolong their lifespan.

The info in the linked first post is a word-for-word copy of the Honda info bulletin. So go with that one IF you decide to "flush the trans". I suppose that determining if a flush is needed depends on conditions. I bet the fluid is quite dark and smells kind of bad.
On an 06 there isn't really a mileage interval anymore, it is determined by the maintenance minder coding at the time of service. If the service is skipped, the reminder is gone when the thing is reset.

They have TCC issues if the fluid is ignored. Some have issues no matter if the fluid is done or not.

IMHO, changing the fluid on a regular basis is cheap insurance. It is FAR cheaper than buying a transmission.

My mom drives an 02 Accord, it is one of those with known transmission issues. I change the ATF in hers on every other oil change. So far, so good.
My own 12 Civic, I will be changing ATF with every oil change (I get the stuff cheap!)
Old 07-19-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TedRed is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
We (at the shop) recommend every 30k, regardless of the driver or recommendations otherwise. Hondas transmissions have had a lousy track record for many years, and some of us feel that any little bit of extra service helps prolong their lifespan.

The info in the linked first post is a word-for-word copy of the Honda info bulletin. So go with that one IF you decide to "flush the trans". I suppose that determining if a flush is needed depends on conditions. I bet the fluid is quite dark and smells kind of bad.
On an 06 there isn't really a mileage interval anymore, it is determined by the maintenance minder coding at the time of service. If the service is skipped, the reminder is gone when the thing is reset.

They have TCC issues if the fluid is ignored. Some have issues no matter if the fluid is done or not.

IMHO, changing the fluid on a regular basis is cheap insurance. It is FAR cheaper than buying a transmission.

My mom drives an 02 Accord, it is one of those with known transmission issues. I change the ATF in hers on every other oil change. So far, so good.
My own 12 Civic, I will be changing ATF with every oil change (I get the stuff cheap!)
I'm new here, 2006 Civic, 83,000 miles. Noticed a click/clunk when shifting from D to R while not moving. Not engine mounts or CVJ. Does this indicate future failure, how quick? Seems early for a car to start traney problems.
Old 07-19-2012

Originally Posted by TedRed
I'm new here, 2006 Civic, 83,000 miles. Noticed a click/clunk when shifting from D to R while not moving. Not engine mounts or CVJ. Does this indicate future failure, how quick? Seems early for a car to start traney problems.
They do that sometimes.
It's clearance inbetween the teeth of the gears, usually. Normal.
Some are just more noticeable than others.
As long as it doesn't go BANG!! and scare the neighbors, it's probably OK.

Hondas automatics aren't designed like any other manufacturers automatics.
Entirely different. No planetary gear sets like other manufacturers use.
These are more similar to a manual trans design that is shifted hydraulically.

Serious: Compare your noise to an identical car before you go thinking something is wrong with yours.
Most of Hondas transmissions can do it if conditions are right.
Many people just don't expect it.

I'd say it is probably normal, but that is without experiencing it for myself.
I probably wouldn't worry unless it shifts WRONG, shudders after a shift, surges at steady speed, flares on shifts, howls, whines unusually loudly, belches fluid, or something else equally drastic.

Also
If you are rolling slightly when you select a gear the other way (i.e. rolling backwards and select Drive gear), the trans can let out a horribly loud, scary sounding CRUNCH noise. That too, is normal for these. You need to be completely stopped before changing gears to a different direction.

HTH