Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

08 civic LX - Oil leak from engine breather cover (rear)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
itsfighter is an unknown quantity at this point
08 civic LX - Oil leak from engine breather cover (rear)

Hi All,

I have a 08 civic LX - auto tran 47K miles - got extended warranty until 2015.

I went to the dealer nearby for the oil change. The technician did find a oil leak from rear engine breather cover PN 11850-RNA-A00. He said its not like a major leak pouring out, its a small seipage and gave a quote for $191 to replace the cover and sealant.
I am planning for a weekend trip to virginia (approx 800 miles to and fro). I am taking to the dealer where I purchased to check the warranty coverage status and also to find out how critical is this leak and whether I can take it for my weekend trip.

Could someone please give me some information or suggestion on this leak? How critical is this leak, Is it ok to take it for my trip and fix this leak next week or so?

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestion.

Thanks
Vinod
Old 01-09-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: 08 civic LX - Oil leak from engine breather cover (rear)

Ouch! $200 labor for a $5 part. Must have to take several things off to get to it, maybe an oil change. Just me but, I would do it myself. Looks like 2 bolts and a gasket.

You should be fine with seepage but, will need to get that fixed soon as it could be a potential big problem. I say "should" as there is always a chance of something going wrong but, all engines eventually have some seepage (nature of the beast). It's when that seepage turn into a leak is when it's a problem.

*Be sure to check the oil regularly.
Old 01-09-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

We cover that under the powertrain warranty here. 5/60, unless you are out timewise (No way).
It's just a reseal of the cover. Only part used is sealant, not replacing the cover.
It's a sucky job to do because of where it is at.
If you are out of warranty, 2 hours labor is fair, the job sucks.
Read the info if this link works, it's a PDF
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...oQGqWZBshwhJ_w
Old 01-09-2012
Registered!!

Thank you very much ezone. My car is still under power train warranty and I also got a extended warranty (expires on 06/2015). I will show the service bulletin to the dealer and will let you know the details.
Is it ok to drive aprox 800 miles (to and fro) with this oil seepage?
Old 01-09-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Seepage? Probably ok. Check your oil before you leave and at every gas-up. You probably won't notice any loss on the dipstick.

I haven't seen any with major leaks from the breather or from the timing chain tensioner cover, just slow seeping mess makers.
Old 01-13-2012
Registered!!

Its covered under my extended warranty and got my car fixed. Thanks
Old 01-13-2012

Originally Posted by itsfighter
Its covered under my extended warranty and got my car fixed. Thanks
Gee.
Aftermarket warranty, or Hondacare?
Most of the time, a sharp aftermarket extended warranty clerk would catch the fact there is a bulletin for it, AND catch the fact it is covered by the powertrain warranty, and then deny the claim because the factory warranty definitely covers it.

They already got the money for your deductible, right?

I'd be calling the Honda customer assistance number asking why the dealer wouldn't cover it. Be courteous, be professional. Don't be a raging lunatic.

Then find a different dealer?
Old 01-19-2012
Registered!!

Hi ezone, The dealer got authorization from the extended warranty and fixed it using their parts/sealants. I asked him why its not covered under powertrain , he said its only covered by full warranty. I didn't pay any deductible - The total amount around $225 is covered by warranty. No wait for parts to order , dealer got all the parts with them and fixed within a day.
The paperwork they gave me contains the authorization code from the extended warranty dealer.

Thanks
Old 01-19-2012

Glad you got it covered somehow, but I'm calling BS on the dealer. We do it under the powertrain warranty.

Does your extended warranty make you pay a deductible? Why didn't you have to pay it?

Makes me wonder if the dealer is "double dipping" from both factory warranty and your extended warranty.