Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

Problem with Relay and Solenoids for Nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
KillerCam251 has a spectacular aura aboutKillerCam251 has a spectacular aura aboutKillerCam251 has a spectacular aura about
Problem with Relay and Solenoids for Nitrous

I have a NX Proton kit installed and upon testing the system here is what is happeneing. The arming switch is getting power and turns on, the microswitch is clicking the relay that is wired to the solenoids and while the relay clicks the solenoids will not, if I unplug the relay and tap the power wire for the solenoids to the battery and ground it intermittently the solenoids will click and operate normal. So what is going on? Solenoids work so that wiring is good and the relay works so that wiring is good so why is the relay not sending current to the solenoids?
Old 08-09-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Problem with Relay and Solenoids for Nitrous

Sounds like the relay could be bad or wired up incorrectly? I drew up a super basic diagram of how it could be wired up (yours may be different, but systematically similar)

Name:  mucwPdJ.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  519.5 KB

Since I don't know what kind of relay you have, I just drew in a standard automotive 4-pin relay, where pins 85/86 supply current to the coil and pins 30/87 connect to the (NO) switch. You may or may not have a fuse in line, but I drew one in anyways.

That said, have you taken a multimeter to pin 87 (or 30, whichever you have connected to the solenoid positive) with a) the switch shut and b) whatever trigger condition you have set? Your relay could very well work (energizing the coil does, in fact, "close" the switch), but something internal doesn't actually send current downstream. Could be bad contacts or something inside "shrug"
Old 08-09-2017
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
KillerCam251 has a spectacular aura aboutKillerCam251 has a spectacular aura aboutKillerCam251 has a spectacular aura about

I found out the issue, the factory who made the wire harness for the relay crimped around the insulation on pin 30 instead of properly stripping the wire, I was surprised, repinned 30s' wire and it works now. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-09-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

At least it wasn't a bad relay. I figured there was some sort of electrical connectivity issue at pin 30/87, be it internal to the relay or otherwise.

Nice find