Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

Help with anti theft lock on radio.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haleyds is an unknown quantity at this point
Help with anti theft lock on radio.

Hi everyone,
I have a 2007 Honda Civic in which the original key was broken therefore triggering the anti theft system and locking the radio.
I have the reset code, the problem is that there's a "4" in the code and we have sadly realized that the "4" button on my radio does not work.
I have taken it to the Honda place and they basically tell me they can't help/fix the button and that I will have to replace the entire radio.
I have tried holding power down for 45 seconds and what not, and I know there's a way you can put it in test mode by pressing AM then FM then 4-- but the 4 doesn't work, so great.
If anyone can help me by pass this to at least get temporary use of my radio, even if I can just use AUX and I don't even care if I have to enter something every time I get into the car. I just really don't want to pay to have my entire radio replaced.
Thank you in advance.
Old 06-19-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help with anti theft lock on radio.

in which the original key was broken therefore triggering the anti theft system and locking the radio.
Does/did the display read "code", or something else?

the "4" button on my radio does not work.
Is the button stuck with sticky goo or something?

I could see needing to remove the radio and take apart the face plate in order to work the tiny switch behind the number button, or to get the button freed up.
Old 06-19-2017
Registered!!

It displays "code error" followed by a number or letter sometimes and then other times it just said "code" and the anti theft light blinks. The 4 isn't jammed or anything, it pushes fine but there's no reception on the screen that I ever pressed it. All the other buttons work fine
Old 06-19-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The 4 isn't jammed or anything, it pushes fine but there's no reception on the screen that I ever pressed it.
Ya, if you can't figure out how to make the electrical contacts behind the button #4 work again, you aren't going to get that unit unlocked.
Old 06-19-2017
Registered!!

What kind of shop should I take it to for the button since honda said they couldn't do it?
Old 06-19-2017

since honda said they couldn't do it?
IMO The dealership SHOULD have provided you with an estimate to remove the radio and send it out for repair.

If you can remove the radio yourself, it might be more cost effective to get a used unit from a recycle yard and stuff it in the dash. Make sure it comes from an identical/compatible car and comes with the unlock code.

You could also look for an audio-video repair shop locally, see if they fix OE car radios.

Or go to a car audio shop and get a different radio altogether.
Old 06-19-2017
Registered!!

Okay last question, I've had multiple people tell me to try and hold the power down for 30-45 seconds. Does the radio need to be on or off? And does it need to be connected to the battery or disconnected? As well as does the car need to be on or off?
The guy who I bought it from was able to bypass it but he failed to mention how or that the 4 was broken. A car just isn't the same without a radio lol
Old 06-19-2017

Originally Posted by Haleyds
Okay last question, I've had multiple people tell me to try and hold the power down for 30-45 seconds. Does the radio need to be on or off? And does it need to be connected to the battery or disconnected? As well as does the car need to be on or off?
I have no idea what good that will do (guess-nothing?), nor do I have any idea which way to do it.
Ask those multiple people to explain how and why.

BTW once the display shows ERR you need to either pull the back up fuse or disconnect the battery for a while to get the radio to reset so it will accept more unlock code attempts. (see owners manual)

The guy who I bought it from was able to bypass it but he failed to mention how or that the 4 was broken.
Take it back to the guy you bought it from and have him do it again?

A car just isn't the same without a radio lol
Wait til you get old LOL
Old 04-05-2022
Registered!!

MontanaProf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Haleyds
It displays "code error" followed by a number or letter sometimes and then other times it just said "code" and the anti theft light blinks. The 4 isn't jammed or anything, it pushes fine but there's no reception on the screen that I ever pressed it. All the other buttons work fine
Hi there, I have this EXACT issue. The 4 button on mine is sometimes stuck and sometimes not stuck though. Did you figure anything out?