Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

Interesting Flip Key Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017
Here for the food

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
teezyyoxo is an unknown quantity at this point
Interesting Flip Key Dilemma

Howdy, folks!

Recently purchased an 08 Civic EX coupe 5spd to replace the nightmare that is the 03 Civic EX sedan 5spd that still sits outside... hoping that it becomes someone else's project one day.
Anyway, I also have an 09 Accord EXL sedan (4cyl). Both my new car and my Accord have the 4-button key fob. I got a flip key cut for my Accord maybe 2 years ago and just popped the remote/circuit board from the stock fob into the flip key and it worked without issue. No soldering needed.

... I did the same for the Civic (since I had a spare flip key fob lying around)... got the blade cut, inserted the remote/circuit board, and the car shut off after a second or so of starting. And the green key light flashes on the dashboard. I remember this happening with my Accord, but that was before I installed the remote/circuit board from my main key into the flip key fob... after that it worked fine.
I'm just wondering why it isn't working with my Civic. I got a new CR1616 battery thinking that would've helped, but nope... same thing.
Fortunately, the car came with a spare/valet key. I don't wanna have to sacrifice that key... or my main key. Is there something I'm missing? Lol
Old 05-17-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Interesting Flip Key Dilemma

The RFID chip on the fob circuit board may not be close enough to the antenna ring in the steering column.
Old 05-18-2017
Here for the food

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
teezyyoxo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Interesting Flip Key Dilemma

I figured as much. I'd really love to not have to destroy my spare key lol