Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

Replace Aux with USB

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017
NPH
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NPH is an unknown quantity at this point
Replace Aux with USB

I am upgrading my stock stereo in my 2007 Civic to one that will have apple carplay and bluetooth and various other nice new technologies.

Has anyone swapped out the aux input for a usb input? I'm going to have 2 USB inputs on the back of the head unit and was thinking it would be pretty awesome to take one out to a static USB input somewhere. What better place to do it than the Aux input which I will no longer need?

I did some quick searches and didn't see anything and have a hard time believing I'm the first person to think of this.
Old 02-16-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Replace Aux with USB

I did it on my ex's 08. Her OEM aux input went bad, and we got a pioneer in-dash navi unit from her godfather. Instead of buying a new aux jack, I gutted the OEM aux input jack and carefully carved out a hole to accommodate a female USB plug. Used plastic weld putty and paint to make it look OEM, and still retained the little spring loaded flip door.

Since the pioneer accessory that came with it also had the capability to use RCA inputs (for video, another aux audio, etc), I made a plastic box from sheets of scrylic that mounted to the top of that little pocket. More paint, plastic weld putty, and lots of sanding to look like it came like that. She also has a 3.5mm jack to RCA cable to plug in any other device like her android phone. iPods play from the usb jack just fine.

I'll see if I can find pics, but I don't think I saved any.

edit: scoured my imgur pics and found some, mostly of the plastic box I made, one that shows the USB jack. You can only tell the plastic weld (or maybe it was sugru.. It was prolly sugru) is there in person if you look closely at it.

Name:  VXw4vjs.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  1,007.7 KB

Name:  iHXTxAe.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  713.2 KB

Name:  ZvjWiMA.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  816.9 KB

Name:  BLLfvIG.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  774.8 KB

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 02-16-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-17-2017
NPH
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NPH is an unknown quantity at this point

Fantastic - thanks! Gives me an idea of where to start anyway - I'll have to see just how handy I am to carve out a hole
Old 02-17-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

lots and lots and lots of patience. It was an ugly oversized hole before I used that sugru stuff to make it look pretty. If you haven't used it before, it's moldable silicone glue, kinda has a slightly crumblier play-doh texture before it cures. I used an exacto to shape it

gutting the aux jack to fit the USB was, by far, the hardest part.
Old 02-22-2017
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Oh that's a cool mod J, never saw that one before.