Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

Is an amplifier neccesary?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wisey27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Is an amplifier neccesary?

So I just recently installed the Sony XAV-65BT double din deck I believe its input is 55x4 . MY question is I'm now about to install speakers in the rear for a more quality sound with some thicker base the Sony XS-FB6930 to be exact with 450w peak power; just wondering if I need a seperate power source such as an amp to run these. Bit of an amateur here your help is appreciated ! As well do I need a harness for the wiring or is it pretty straight forward.

2004 Civic SiR
Old 11-10-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Is an amplifier neccesary?

When looking at power ratings, you want to pay attention to the power range: 2-60 watts RMS . The (450 watts peak power) means that the speaker can handle that power for less than one second without sustaining damage. And honestly I don't believe it could handle that.

In this case, this number is far more important: sensitivity: 92 dB
This means you should have no problem running them off of a head unit.

That being said, you will always get better sound with the addition of an amp. It provides higher "Cleaner" power. Cleaner being the key word here.

If you install an amp, you won't need a harness, but you will need a wiring kit consisting of power wire (4-8 ga depending on amp size), matching ground wire, RCA cable and remote turn on wire.
Old 11-10-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wisey27 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TiggerDX
When looking at power ratings, you want to pay attention to the power range: 2-60 watts RMS . The (450 watts peak power) means that the speaker can handle that power for less than one second without sustaining damage. And honestly I don't believe it could handle that.

In this case, this number is far more important: sensitivity: 92 dB
This means you should have no problem running them off of a head unit.

That being said, you will always get better sound with the addition of an amp. It provides higher "Cleaner" power. Cleaner being the key word here.

If you install an amp, you won't need a harness, but you will need a wiring kit consisting of power wire (4-8 ga depending on amp size), matching ground wire, RCA cable and remote turn on wire.

Yeah after further research I found that an amplifier is not neccesary for the speakers but in all cases the more power the better so not neccesary the amplifier but recommended basically for even better sound. The speaker came with wires now just wondering how simple it really is the wiring, just splice the factory connector and I imagine it's just a positive and negative wire that I would attach the wires from the speakers with using butt connectors and crimp.
Old 11-11-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light

If you had ordered from Crutchfield, they would have included the wiring adapters.

But yes, you will need to clip off the factory connector and just use some female spade connectors or butt connectors if you want to use the wiring that came with the speaker.

You will need to determine which is positive and negative. WIll probably need a wiring diagram as I doubt the factory speaker is labeled (but it may be).