Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

Need help with VSS on 97 civic lx

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jimmy Criswell is an unknown quantity at this point
Need help with VSS on 97 civic lx

I have a 97 civic lx. Speedo jumps around even sitting still. Replaced with new VSS and still does same thing. Have good ground and good positive. Measuring 4.5 volts from blue/white wire. Volts are not pulsing. I am using the power probe so they may not. Any ideas on what to test or where to go from here. I have to get my speedow fixed. I have been running without VSS plugged in. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-15-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need help with VSS on 97 civic lx

Volts are not pulsing.
Differential carrier would have to be turning in order to get the VSS to make pulses.

PCM/TCM, Cruise and speedo all share the VSS signal.

Does the cruise work correctly?
Got a scanner? Does the vehicle speed read correctly on the scanner datalist even while the speedo is acting wrong?

If you answered yes to both of those, then the problem is likely in the speedometer itself.