Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

Ipad as head unit

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kelseyhickman is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Ipad as head unit

Hi all, I'm new to the forum (and the whole forum world), so sorry if I am dumb about anything! I tried searching through different posts to see if anyone posted anything on it but I haven't found much. Anyway, I would like to integrate my Ipad 2 into a head unit. Similar to what soundman did, but what I want is basically to use it as my head unit screen. When I forget it at home or don't feel like bringing it along I would still like to be able to use my aftermarket head unit as the screen, though, because I don't always have it with me. Short trips tend to turn into long trips sometimes as my parents live in a different city and such. I would pretty much like to do it myself to save on cost, I think I'm capable haha. Does all that make sense? Is it achievable?

I've looked at the new pioneer appradio thing and it doesn't seem like I would be able to hook up the ipad as the head unit screen. I also have looked at the sony comparison, but it doesn't have a screen without the ipad/iphone or whatever. Same with the iRoc deal and a few other head units.

Right now I have the Pioneer AVH-P4000 DVD receiver.

Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks guys!
Old 03-17-2013
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Ipad as head unit

I'm unclear about what you want. Do you want to mold the ipad into the dash? I remember watching a video about that-

With the dash dimensions of a civic it'd be a very tight squeeze if it even fit at all. You'd most likely have to relocate the climate controls and then some. This would be a huge undertaking considering you want to still use the Pioneer unit (you'd have to relocate that too). Hopefully sl33py chimes in here cause he molded a carputer screen into the dash.
Old 03-17-2013
Registered!!

I actually wouldn't mind a removable mount so as to be less invasive and not to worry about moving around components. I wouldn't mind purchasing a different head unit as long as it isn't too expensive. I wonder if there are any apps for the iPad that works with specific units as the screen similar to the Sony App Remote, but already have a screen themselves. As if it has an alternate screen option I suppose. Thanks for the reply!

Edit:
After thinking about it, I really don't use my iPad much now so having a head unit without a screen would be fine, I could handle the sony app remote. But if there is a way to integrate my iPad with my current head unit that could save money by not buying a new head unit that would be awesome. If that would be easier than my original thought that would be awesome also.

Basically I like the iPad as a screen for the size, swiftness, good read on the touches, app options, etc. But I want the functionality of a head unit. Radio, ability to listen to a CD on the unit and control it through the iPad, volume control, source switching, source control, etc.

Last edited by kelseyhickman; 03-17-2013 at 03:05 AM. Reason: rethought my original idea
Old 03-18-2013
Registered!!

Oh also, if I were to get the Sony Appremote capable head unit (sony MEX-GS600BT), would it power a 4 channel amp and two 12" subs?
Old 03-18-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Yes you can power a 4 channel amp and 2 subs with that Sony head unit. If you are only running 2 subs then all you would need is a 2 channel amp.
Old 05-23-2013
Registered!!

Clark45 is an unknown quantity at this point

I truly don't utilize my ipad much now so having a head unit without a screen might be fine, I could handle the sony application remote.
Be that as it may if there is a route to combine my ipad with my present head unit that could recover cash by not getting another head unit that might be stunning. Assuming that