Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

How to install a tachometer

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ptsixsecondz is an unknown quantity at this point
How to install a tachometer

Whether you plan on installing a 10inch tac or a small sensible one because the dx model doesnt come with a tac (my case) this is a simple guide on how its done.

First go buy your tac from ebay or a rice store such as autozone, pepboys or the like. then take the instructions and throw them into the nearest trash receptacle. Now you are ready to install.

tools: basically what you think youll need

screw driver

wire cutters

something to strip wire

wire joints

ect

So you first have to put the mounting bracket assembly on your tac and decide where to mound it, I put mine on the steering column. see picture

next you are gonna have a green wire and that is your tac signal. you are gonna have to hook that up to the tac signal in your engine bay. (some people get to it from behind the cluster but engine bay was easier for me) I have a 2000 civic dx so my wire was in top right corner of engine bay. It is a blue wire with a silver strip ever inch.

next is black wire which is ground so you know what to do, and if you dont then its time to put your tac back into the box and return it to autozone

then you have the red wire which is the power cable. basically just hook it up to the fuse box. You can use a voltmeter to check the current or just guess and check its easy enough.

Lastly is your white wire and that is to illuminate your tac at night. You can simply splice and dice it to your red wire but then it will always be on. Simple enough but I didnt want to do that so basically if you want the light to only be on when the cluster lights and what not are on follow these instructions

go into the thing that adjust brightness of dash. there will be three wire, spice the one that is black with a red stripe I beleive, splice and connect the white to it. Check to make sure it works and then reassemble your car and you are ready to go!

Attachment 84490
Old 08-01-2020
Car Audio Inc

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
thornygravy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: How to install a tachometer

replied to wrong thread, sorry