Electrical, Wiring, and In Car Entertainment Electrical, Wiring and In Car Entertainment questions belong here.

Hot Wiring 1992 Civic Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Omasta81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Hot Wiring 1992 Civic Sedan

1stly let me start this by stating NO Im not stealing someones car, Im not even actually stealing my own and NOR do my parents have my keys. Im just a little unconfident about hotwiring my car (+ battery to + Starter motor).

This situation is this. I suspect my ignition relay or ignition switch is faulty. I need to bypass this in order to get my car to the AutoElect, otherwise Im going to have to tow it, its 1km... annoying.

I know that I need to place a wire from the +battery to the +starter, my question is. Is the +Starter the spot where the black/white cable connects in?
Or the Starter Cable. (Im assuming the first).

Originally I suspected that my immobiliser was playing up, it would turn off, but I would have no ignition. Happened erratically 3-4 times. Spoke to AutoElect who mentioned that this model has a history of a dodgy relay.

Thanks
Old 12-16-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hot Wiring 1992 Civic Sedan

im not quite sure that will get the car started. all you will be doing is turning the starter. if there is nothing else working (fuel pump, injectors, relays, etc) i doubt the engine would do anything more than spin. and you will end up burning out the starter if you do it more than 10 seconds at a time. i think youre better off towing it. or pushing it if its not too far.
Old 12-16-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Omasta81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks bro. I suspected as much, but its always worth the one try. I gather that the Ignition Relay controls the signal to the fuel pump, etc? Which makes sense as the 2nd last time I drove it, it stalled as I parked. I assume that the relay issue cut off the signal to the pump and thus caused the stall. Ill see how much a call out Electrician is.
Old 12-16-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

are you able to get the car to power ON (not start the motor) with the key in ON position? or can you not do anything with the key. cause if you can get the car on, with lights and stuff powered up, then you can use the starter bypass to crank the motor and it should start.